Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Field Hockey Rallies to Score Come-From-Behind Overtime Win Against Colby

Field Hockey Rallies to Score Come-From-Behind Overtime Win Against Colby

Hartford, Conn. – The Trinity College field hockey team erased a late two-goal deficit to score a 3-2 overtime victory against Colby in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) action on Saturday afternoon at Sheppard Field. With the victory, the Bantams snapped a two-game losing streak to improve to 3-2 overall and 2-1 in league play, while the Mules dropped their third conference game in a row to fall to 3-3 on the year and 0-3 in NESCAC games.

Just under six minutes into overtime, Trinity junior forward Nikki Rivera (Rockaway, N.J.) beat Colby goaltender Sarah Evans (Cohasset, Mass.) off a pass from senior co-captain Sophie Doering (Darien, Conn.) to give the Bantams their second NESCAC win of the season.

Evans played well between the pipes for the Mules, stopping seven shots in a losing effort, while junior Sophie Fitzpatrick (Duxbury, Mass.) made four saves to earn the win for Trinity.

Trinity First-year forward Kelcie Finn (South Weymouth, Mass.) opened the scoring nine and a half into play to give the Bantams a 1-0 edge. Finn has now scored in four of her five career games and leads the team with 10 goals. Sophomore forward Casey Quinn (Providence, R.I.) set the play up to pick up her second assist of the season. Twelve minutes later, Colby first-year forward Erika Smith (Salem, N.H.) tied the game at one with an unassisted tally. Smith fired a shot on goal that was turned aside by Fitzpatrick with a kick save and she slammed the rebound home. Smith's tally would close out the scoring in the opening 35 minutes as the conference rivals entered halftime knotted at one.

In the second half, junior Misha Strage (Westport, Conn.) scored to give the Mules their first lead of the day with under 15 minutes remaining in regulation. Colby would hold the lead for a little over ten minutes before Trinity junior forward Olivia Tapsall (Greenwich, Conn.) tied the game at two. Finn played a ball to the center of the circle and Tapsall converted for her fourth goal of the year.

Trinity held a 16-10 advantage in shots and had seven penalty corners to the Mules four.

Trinity returns to action on Wednesday, Sept. 24, with a non-conference tilt at Keene State beginning at 6:00 p.m. The Bantams are coming off back-to-back overtime contests and are riding a three-game winning streak versus the Owls.