Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Field Hockey Knocks Off No. 11 Ranked Wellesley in Home Opener

Kelcie Finn '18 scored twice to lead the Bantams to a 2-1 victory over No. 11 ranked Wellesley
Kelcie Finn '18 scored twice to lead the Bantams to a 2-1 victory over No. 11 ranked Wellesley

Hartford, Conn. - Junior Kelcie Finn (Weymouth, Mass.) buried the ball into the back of the box late in the second half to give the Bantams a 2-1 lead and eventually, the win, as the Trinity College field hockey team defeated No. 11 ranked Wellesley College on Wednesday night in Hartford. Trinity, playing its first game of the year on Sheppard Field, improves to 2-1 on the year while they hand the Blue their first loss of the season, dropping them to 3-1 overall. 

Both teams had identical amounts of shots (11) and penalty corners (8) on the evening as the scoreboard showed zeros after the first 35 minutes of play. Things quickly changed in the second half as Wellesley broke the scoreless tie on a Haley Chrobock (Branchville, N.J.) goal via an assist from Courtney Peterson (Glastonbury, Conn.) as Peterson fed Chrobock the ball in traffic in front of the net and Chrobock pushed it past Trinity junior goalie Lori Berger (Scottsdale, Ariz.). Trinity wasted no time to respond as Finn corralled a loose ball near midfield and raced towards Wellesley's goal as she fired a shot past Wellesley goalie Lucy Hurlock (Needham, Mass.) to even the score at 1-1. 

Trinity's defense stepped up in multiple spots late in the second half, including sophomore defender Molly Reilly (Andover, Mass.), who found herself one-on-one with a Wellesley attacker but slapped the ball away from the crease to save a possible goal. At the 58:42 mark, sophomore Chandler Solimine (Pelham, N.Y.) lifted a shot that bounced high off Hurlock's blocker and allowed Finn to do her best baseball impression and hammer a line drive into the goal to give the Bantams the eventual win.

Wellesley made things interesting late in the game with several scoring chances but Trinity's defense held stout, highlighted by a clutch save from Berger with 1:40 left, to preserve the win. Berger finished the evening with eight saves while Hurlock tallied seven. 

Trinity returns to action Saturday as they make the trip to upstate New York to face New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) opponent Hamilton at 11 a.m.