Trinity Field Hockey Falls to Colby After Late Second Half Goal

Chandler Solimine '19
Chandler Solimine '19

Waterville, Maine - A goal by Merel van Gijzen (De Meern, Netherlands) with 3:14 left to play stood as the game-winner as the Colby College Mules sank the Trinity College Bantams on Saturday in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) field hockey action at Bill Alfond Field in Waterville, Maine. Trinity falls to 1-4 overall and 0-4 in conference play while the Mules improve to 4-2 on the year and 2-2 in league action. The Bantams return to action on Tuesday for a conference matchup in New London against Connecticut College.

Trinity finished with a 21-15 shot advantage while both teams combined for 26 penalty corners, earning 13 each. Trinity senior goalie Lori Berger (Scottsdale, Ariz.) finished with seven saves and Colby starter Riley Whitmyer (Bentleyville, Ohio) turned away 14 shots on the day. 

Colby darted out to a 1-0 lead thanks to the seventh goal of the season from Georgia Cassidy (Darien, Conn.) off a penalty corner at the 11:39 mark. Maddie Schoeni (Ann Arbor, Mich.) had the assist after she pushed a pass into the center to Cassidy, who quickly turned and ripped a shot.

Colby rookie Myri Skodock (Mechlenburg-Pommerania, Germany) scored her third goal of the season off a rebound at 16:08 of the first half to give the hosts a 2-0 lead. A long ball was played into the circle, where Cassidy turned on another shot that was saved. However, Skodock was there on the left side to bang in the rebound. The Bantams took a timeout after the second Colby goal and scored just 1:51 later to cut the margin to one. Junior forward Chandler Solimine (Pelham, N.Y.) scored her second goal of the year on a scramble in front of the goal.

Bantam sophomore Caroline Curtin (Andover, Mass.) found the equalizer for Trinity at the 44:43 mark in the second half after a pair of unsuccessful penalty corners for the visitors.

Late in the half, with time winding down and overtime looming, van Gijzen was fouled roughly five yards out of the circle. After the reset, she dribbled the ball into the circle and blasted a backhand shot to the lower right corner of the cage, past Berger to break the tie. Colby's defense held Trinity to just a single shot after the game-winner, which came with just 3:14 left to play, to come away with the one-goal victory.