Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Field Hockey Takes Down Bates For Fourth Consecutive Shutout

Chandler Solimine '19 scored three times to help lead Trinity to a 4-0 victory on Saturday.
Chandler Solimine '19 scored three times to help lead Trinity to a 4-0 victory on Saturday.

Hartford, Conn. - Senior co-captain Chandler Solimine (Pelham, N.Y.) scored once in the first half and twice more in the second for her first hat trick of the season to lead the Trinity College field hockey team to a 4-0 victory over the Bates College Bobcats in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) action at Robin Sheppard Field in Hartford. The shutout is Trinity's fourth in a row as the Bantams have outscored their opponents, 13-0, in the last four games.

Trinity improves to 5-2 on the year and 3-2 in the NESCAC while Bates falls to 2-6 overall and 1-5 in the conference. Before the game, the Bantams re-dedicated the newly remodeled turf field to legendary former field hockey and women's lacrosse coach, Robin Sheppard. 

Trinity jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first half and never looked back. Solimine put the Bantams ahead, 1-0, just 1:44 into the opening half thanks to an assist by junior Caroline Curtin (Andover, Mass.). Curtin finished the day with assists on three of Trinity's four goals. At the 13:37 mark in the first half, sophomore Kendall Brown (Greenwich, Conn.) doubled the host's lead with her sixth goal of the season, knocking a loose ball past Bates goalie Adelae Durand (Cumberland, R.I.) during a scrum in front of the box.

Trinity's defense played excellent once again in front of senior goalie Lori Berger (Scottsdale, Ariz.). The Bobcats earned three corners during the first half but were unable to convert any of them into goals as Berger and the defense kept the ball away from the cage. Berger finished the afternoon with four saves.

Solimine got right back to it to begin the second half, scoring at the 43:08 mark off a corner insert. Junior Nicole Quinlan (Duxbury, Mass.) inserted the ball to Curtin who set up a blast from Solimine that hit the back of the cage to put Trinity ahead, 3-0. Curtin and Solimine connected once more, just 1:40 later, to make it a 4-0 advantage to put the game out of reach.