Field Hockey Continues Dominance With 4-0 Victory at Wesleyan

Field Hockey Continues Dominance With 4-0 Victory at Wesleyan

Middletown, Conn. - The Trinity College field hockey team scored twice in each half to come away with a 4-0 victory over in-state New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) foe Wesleyan University on Wednesday evening at Smith Field in Middletown. The shutout is Trinity's sixth-straight and seventh of the season as the Bantams have now outscored their opponents, 22-0, in their last six games. Trinity improves to 7-2 overall and 4-2 in league play while the Cardinals fall to 3-6 on the year and 0-5 in NESCAC action.

Trinity wasted little time getting on the board, scoring just 1:13 into the first half. Rookie Caelin Flaherty (Upton, Mass.) collected a rebound after senior co-captain Chandler Solimine (Pelham, N.Y.) had an initial shot saved, before burying the ball into bottom right portion of the cage for the 1-0 edge. The Bantams had a great chance to tack on another tally at the 8:18 mark, but Cardinal goalkeeper Delaney Wood (Winslow, Maine) used her right blocker to thwart the opportunity.

Wesleyan looked to knot the game 11:57 in, but Trinity senior goalie Lori Berger (Scottsdale, Ariz.) came charging off her line to deny Colleen Carrigan (Lansdale, Pa.). Berger finished the night with three saves in the shutout. Trinity added a goal at the 25:19 mark when Solimine beat a Wesleyan defender on the left side, before tucking the ball inside the far post for the 2-0 lead. 

The Bantams scored their third goal of the game just three minutes into the second half when Solimine collected the rebound off an initial blocked shot by sophomore Kendall Brown (Greenwich, Conn.), before finding the goal through traffic.

The final goal for the Bantam's came at the 68:32 mark when sophomore Caroline Fisher (Kennett Square, Pa.) found the back of the cage on a cross from junior Jordan Ragland (Westport, Conn.) to make it a 4-0 game. The Bantam defense, which yielded just three shots on goal the entire game, held on the rest of the way as the visitors came away with the victory. 

Trinity returns to action on Saturday when it travels to Bowdoin for an 11 a.m. game.