Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Trinity Men's Hoops Holds On At Colby

Captain Shay Ajayi '16 had 13 points and passed the 1,000-point plateau for his college career
Captain Shay Ajayi '16 had 13 points and passed the 1,000-point plateau for his college career

Waterville, Maine - On a night when senior captain forward Shay Ajayi (Brooklyn, N.Y.) went over 1,000 career points, the visiting Trinity College Bantams earned a 62-60 New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) men's basketball win over the Colby College Mules at Wadsworth Gymnasium.  The Bantams improve to 13-4 overall and 4-0 in conference play with their sixth win in a row, while Colby drops to 11-5 overall and 0-4 in the league.  

Sophomore Eric Gendron (Merrimack, N.H.) finished with 16 points on 3-for-6 shooting from three-point range for the Bantams. Ajayi added 13 points and 10 rebounds thanks to 6-for-8 shooting, while junior Ed Ogundeko (Brooklyn, N.Y.) also had a double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds. Senior captains Andrew Hurd and Jaquann Starks each had eight points in the Trinity backcourt. Ajayi becomes the 27th Bantam to score 1,000 career points, joining Starks in the excklusive club as the second Trinity seniro captain to surpass the mark this season.  Patrick Stewart and Sam Willson both had 17 points and five rebounds for the Mules. Stewart also finished with four assists and had 6-for 10 shooting from the field and 3-for-6 from 3-point range. Willson also shot 3-for-6 from long range and added a pair of assists.  

The Mules took a 27-25 lead at halftime, but Trinity had some momentum into the break when Gendron hit a long three at the buzzer.  The Bantams trailed, 50-48, on a Willson jumper with 8:10 to go, but went on a 10-3 run to go up 58-53 with 4:34 remaining. Hurd hit a big three-point shot with 2:51 left and it appeared that Trinity was safe with a 61-53 margin.  The Mules went 4-for-4 from the foul line over the next 1:10 to cut the margin to 61-57. Willson nailed a 3-point shot with 53 seconds left to cut the lead to 61-60, but the Mules turned the ball over with 6.7 seconds left and immediately fouled. Gendron went 1-for-2 from the foul line, and Colby missed a long ball at the buzzer.