Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Basketball Stifles Bowdoin, 71-53

Eric Gendron '18 dropped in 18 points in Trinity's 18-point win over Bowdoin on Saturday
Eric Gendron '18 dropped in 18 points in Trinity's 18-point win over Bowdoin on Saturday

Hartford, Conn. - For the second straight day, the Trinity College men's basketball team allowed fewer than 20 points in the first half, this time against the Bowdoin College Polar Bears, as they cruised to a 71-53 victory in today's New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) men's basketball matchup at Oosting Gymnasium in Hartford. The win moves Trinity to 12-6 overall and 4-1 in league action while the Polar Bears drop to 9-8 on the year and 1-4 in NESCAC play.

Trinity senior co-captain Ed Ogundeko (Brooklyn, N.Y.) recorded game-highs of 20 points, 20 rebounds, and three monstrous blocks while the Bantams held Bowdoin to a 30 percent clip from the floor on 15-for-50 shooting. Ogundeko was flanked by junior Eric Gendron (Merrimack, N.H.) who finished with 18 points on 7-of-10 shooting, sophomore Jeremy Arthur (Westbury, N.Y.) who dished out a game-high five assists, and senior Langdon Neal (Chicago, Ill.) who came away with three steals. Bantam rookie Christian Porydzy (South Glastonbury, Conn.) was efficient off the bench, scoring a career-high nine points on 3-for-3 shooting from beyond the arc. Bowdoin was led by sophomore Hugh O'Neil (Lexington, Mass.) who recorded 11 points and 14 boards. 

Bowdoin scored the first two buckets of the game to take a quick, 4-0 lead, however Trinity answered with a 25-4 run to jump out to blow the game open early. The Bantams defense held the Polar Bears to just those four points all the way up until the nine-minute mark when a layup from Tim Ahn (La Mirada, Calif.) ended the drought. A layup by O'Neil with 2:33 to play in the half cut the deficit to 13, but a Gendron jump shot followed by a steal and breakaway layup from Neal on the following Polar Bear possesion reclaimed a 17-point advantage for the hosts. 

A three-pointer by David Reynolds (Raleigh, N.C.) cut the Bantams lead to 11 with 11:33 to play in the second half but Trinity never wavered and kept the game at arms-length. Ogundeko came up with his first of three, thunderous blocks at the 10:48 mark which led to a layup by Gendron in transition to put Trinity up 47-34. Porydzy followed that with back-to-back threes for the Bantams before a triple from Gendron and a put-back by Ogundeko off a missed shot extended Trinity's lead to 17 and put the game out of reach.

The Bantams return to action on Tuesday, January 24, when they travel to Vassar for a 7 p.m. tip in Poughkeepsie.