Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Trinity Men's Basketball Rides Strong Second Half to 74-59 Victory Over Mt. St. Vincent

Nick Seretta '20
Nick Seretta '20

Hartford, Conn. – The Trinity College men's basketball team forced 22 turnovers and held the Mt. St. Vincent Dolphins to just 30.2% shooting from the field in a 74-59 victory on Tuesday night at Oosting Gymnasium in Hartford. The Bantams improve to 4-1 overall with the victory while the Dolphins fall to 1-2 on the year. Trinity returns to action on Thursday when they travel down the road to Western Connecticut State for a 7 p.m. game.

Both teams started slow with the first bucket not coming until nearly three minutes into the game. Trinity took an 11-9 lead on a driving layup from sophomore Nick Seretta (Greenfield, Mass.) at the 12:50 mark, but both teams went cold again until a steal by junior Jeremy Arthur (Westbury, Mass.) led to him getting fouled in transition. Arthur knocked down a pair of free throws to open up a four-point lead which preceded the Bantams entering a full-court press defense. Trinity's press forced Dolphin turnovers on back-to-back possessions before another couple of free throws by Arthur opened up a 15-9 advantage. After six minutes without a point, Andrew Curiel (Bronx, N.Y.) knocked down a jump shot from the elbow for Mt. St. Vincent at the 8:05 mark.  The Bantams opened up their largest lead of the half with 6:39 left to go after a block by sophomore Kyle Padmore (Milton, Mass.) on the defensive end led to a jump shot at the other end by senior co-captain Eric Gendron(Merrimack, N.H.) to put the hosts up nine.

Out of a 30-second timeout Jose Maestre (Bronx, N.Y.) drained a three-pointer to cut the deficit to 23-20 with 3:50 left in the half. The Dolphins made it a 25-24 game with 2:01 remaining in the half after a pair of free throws by Maestre, but Trinity answered in the form of a triple by Arthur to reclaim a four-point advantage. 28-24 stood as the score entering the break as both teams combined to shoot just 16-of-52 from the floor in the game's first 20 minutes.

A pair of foul shots by Raquis Harris (Albany, N.Y.) tied the game at 34-34, just past the 14:00 mark in the second half. Trinity ended Mt. St. Vincent's 7-0 run and returned the favor when junior Judah Woney (Harlem, N.Y.) swatted a Dolphin shot and was rewarded at the other end of the floor with a strong bucket in the paint. Gendron then picked off an errant Dolphin pass and converted a layup plus free throw on the offensive end before four-straight points by sophomore Joseph Bell (Manchester, N.H.) and a layup from Padmore opened up a 45-34 advantage. Matthew Sowah (Staten Island, N.Y.) ended Mt. St. Vincent's scoring drought with a three-pointer at the 11:11 mark but Arthur, not to be outdone, buried a three of his own on the ensuing possession to maintain the double-digit lead. A steal by junior Tim Flynn (Hartford, Conn.) with 5:26 remaining led to a beautiful transition that ended with a layup by sophomore Christian Porydzy (South Glastonbury, Conn.) to put Trinity up 63-47. The Bantams held strong down the stretch as the Dolphins never got closer than 15 in the game's final minutes en route to the 74-59 Trinity victory.

Arthur led all players with 17 points while Gendron added 15 and pulled down eight boards to go along with three blocks. Bell poured in 14 points on a 6-of-15 shooting night off the bench for Trinity who finished shooting 45% from the field despite struggling in the first half. Porydzy dished out a game-high eight assists while collecting four steals on defense. For Mt. St. Vincent, Maestre finished with 14 points, eight of which came at the charity stripe, while Curiel added 10 points and eight rebounds.