Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Trinity Men's Basketball Falls Late at Western Connecticut State

Connor Merinder '19
Connor Merinder '19

Danbury, Conn. - Despite taking a 41-28 lead into the half, the Trinity College men's basketball team could not hang on as they suffered a 65-62 loss at Western Connecticut State on Thursday evening at Feldman Arena in Danbury. The loss drops the Bantams to 4-2 on the year while the Colonials improve to 2-3 overall. Trinity returns to action next Tuesday for a home game at 7:30 p.m. versus Bard College. 

The visiting Bantams placed three players in double figures as sophomore guard Christian Porydzy (South Glastonbury, Conn.), senior Eric Gendron (Merrimack, N.H.), and junior Connor Merinder (Andover, Mass.) finished with 21, 13 and 10 points, respectively. Gendron pulled down a game-high 11 boards for Trinity for his first double-double of the winter while sophomore Joseph Bell (Manchester, N.H.) added nine points off the bench. 

The Bantams started the game with a 14-5 run capped by a layup from sophomore guard Tim Flynn (Hartford, Conn). Shortly thereafter, Porydzy knocked down a trifecta before Gendron scored in the paint, widening the gap to 18 points with 5:49 remaining before the break. Trinity rode a 45.9% shooting clip to a 41-28 lead as the two teams entered the halftime break.

The Colonials stingy defense translated to an offensive outburst in the second half as they outscored the Bantams, 37-21. Tyler Rowe (East Hartford, Conn.) buried a three-pointer from the right wing to knot the count at 45-45 before junior guard Eli Rodriguez (Bristol, CT) drained another from beyond the top of the key, giving the Colonials its first advantage since the opening minutes of play, 48-45.

Trinity struck back to regain a 51-50 lead when Gendron converted a three-point play after being hacked on a long jump shot with his heels on the line. However, the Colonials battled back once again. Junior guard Geary McLeod (Meriden, Conn.) drained an deep triple from downtown, seizing a 57-56 Colonial advantage with 2:59 left on the clock. Rowe then dribbled right, spun around and sank a step-back three-pointer to make it 60-56 with 1:44 left.

Rowe and McLeod would each knock down critical free throws in the waning moments as the Colonials would hold on to clinch the comeback. Trinity shot just 8-of-29 from the floor in the second half while finishing with a slight advantage on the boards, 41-39.