Trinity Men's Ice Hockey Perseveres For 2-1 Win over Connecticut College

Liam Feeney '20 notched a goal and an assist
Liam Feeney '20 notched a goal and an assist

Hartford, Conn. –  Sophomore defenseman Liam Feeney (Foxboro, Mass.) scored the game-winning goal with 1:20 seconds left in the game to lift the No. 4-ranked Bantams to a 2-1 victory over the visiting Connecticut College Camels in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) men's ice hockey action this afternoon at Williams Rink in the Koeppel Community Sports Center. Trinity improves to 2-0 overall, while the Camels drop to 1-1 in the league with their 12th loss to the Bantams in a row. Trinity returns to the ice on Tuesday for a 7:30 p.m. home game against non-conference opponent Nazareth College.

Trinity dominated the first period with many close scoring chances, but Connecticut College sophomore goaltender Avery Gobbo (Mississauga, Ont.) kept a clean sheet by stopping 16 Bantam shots compared to four shots by the Camels. Eight minutes into the contest, the Bantams had a scoring opportunity when junior Michael O'Brien (Cohasset, Mass.) ripped a shot from the blue line that hit the post. Later in the period, senior captain Anthony Sabitsky (Sicklerville, N.J.) stole the puck behind the Camel net and slotted it in front for sophomore Barclay Gammill (New Canaan, Conn.) but the shot misfired. With 1:18 remaining in the period, Connecticut College sophomore Ryan Petti (Tewskbury, Mass.) found teammate Rory Garlasco (Wayne, N.J.) who shot from the blue line.  Trinity senior goalie Alex Morin (St. Hubert, Quebec) made the save but Camel freshman Greg Pezza (Greenville, R.I.) finished the rebound to put the Camels up 1-0.

The second period ended scoreless despite a 17-to-6 shooting edge for the home team.  Half way through the period, Trinity's Andy Chugg (Mesa, Ariz.) was stymied by Gobbo on a breakaway shot, while the Connecticut College offense kept the pressure on and had another chance when Petti stole the puck in transition and passed it to Garlasco for a hard shot on goal that was stopped by Morin. In the last minute of the period, the Bantams earned a power play and Feeney and rookie blueliner James Callahan (Gladstone, N.J) sent a barrage of shots toward the Camel net but to no avail.

The Bantams came out with high pressure in the third period and finally found the back of the net after a series of shots midway through when junior Charlie Zuccarini (Shelton, Conn.) received a pass in front of the crease from teammate Ross Mandigo (Stowe, Vt. ) and put it home to tie the score. After a Trinity penalty with 7:33 on the clock, senior captain Connor Hegarty (Wakefield, Mass.), O'Brien, Feeney, and freshman Nicholas Fiorentino (Hartsdale, N.Y.) anchored a key penalty kill that kept the game tied. The Bantams broke through for the go-ahead tally when senior Tyler Whitney (Wakefield, Mass.) and Fiorentino found Feeney in front of the net who slid the puck passed Gobbo. The Camels could not get off a shot the rest of the way.  Morin finished the evening with 13 saves while Gobbo tallied 45 in a valiant effort.