Trinity Men's Hockey Blanks Nazareth, 4-0

Barclay Gammill '20 (#20) scored once and added  an assist as the Bantams picked up their first shutout of the season, 4-0 over Nazareth.
Barclay Gammill '20 (#20) scored once and added an assist as the Bantams picked up their first shutout of the season, 4-0 over Nazareth.

Hartford, Conn. – The Trinity College men's hockey game picked up a 4-0 victory over the Nazareth Golden Flyers on Tuesday night at the Koeppel Center in Hartford. The Bantams, ranked No. 3 in the nation in the poll, improve to 3-0 on the year while Nazareth falls to 3-5 overall. Trinity returns to the ice on Saturday for a 4 p.m. home game against Plymouth State before a Sunday matchup, also on its home ice, against Franklin Pierce. Nazareth follows up with a December 1 tilt on the road at King's College in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

Neither team could break the scoreless tie in the first period as the two sides combined for just 15 total shots. The Bantams came out of the gates as the aggressors, firing five shots at Nazareth starting netminder Michael Tilford (Traverse City, Mich.) in the first five minutes, who turned all five aside. Trinity had its best look at net with just under six minutes left when senior captain defenseman Connor Hegarty (Wakefield, Mass.) fired a wrist shot from just inside the blue line that ricocheted off the piping and bounced out of play. The Golden Flyers had a nearly identical chance no more than 30 seconds later when Austin Romzek (Shelby Township, Mich.) picked off an errant Bantam pass near the red-line and skated down ice with no one to beat. Romzek fired a shot towards Bantam sophomore goalie Tedy Loughborough (Wellesley Hills, Mass.) but the puck bounce off the post and out from harm's way.

Trinity scored twice within a 2:30 span in the second period to open up a 2-0 lead. The first came at the 10:02 mark when Tilford found himself out of position near the back of the net. Trying to clear it, Tilford mishandled the puck which bounced to senior forward Tyler Whitney (Wakefield, Mass.) along the boards. Whitney immediately slipped a pass towards the front of the net to sophomore Barclay Gammill (New Canaan, Conn.) who tipped it to senior captain Anthony Sabitsky (Sicklerville, N.J.) at the back-side post. Sabitsky tapped a one-timer into the empty net as Tilford was late getting back in position, giving the Bantams the lead. 2:18 later, Gammill added to the lead when he sent a wrist shot on goal that found the back of the net for his first goal of the season, assisted by rookie James Callahan (Gladstone, N.J.) and Hegarty. Loughborough stopped all three Nazareth shots that came his way in the period as the Bantams took a 2-0 lead into the second intermission.

Whitney made it a 3-0 game early in the third period with a power play goal, his first score of the season, via assists from Callahan and Sabitsky. Trinity's defense, which held Nazareth to just 15 shots, held tough the rest of the way to keep the Golden Flyers off the board and hold on for the 4-0 shutout. Nazareth pulled Tilford from net with less than a minute remaining which preceded an empty-netter by first-year Dylan Healey (Goshen, N.Y.) to ice the game.

Loughborough made 15 saves in his second career shutout while Tilford finished with 31 saves despite the loss. The two teams combined for 11 penalties, eight of which were called on the Bantams, in a physical game.