No. 7 Men's Hockey Blanks Tufts to Open 2018-19 Season

Nick Fiorentino '20
Nick Fiorentino '20

Malden, Mass. - The No. 7 Trinity College men's hockey team scored once in the first and twice more in the third period to come away with a 3-0 New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) win over the Tufts University Jumbos on Friday night at the Valley Forum in both teams' season opener. The Bantams return to action tomorrow at 3 p.m. when they travel to New London to take on the Connecticut College Camels. 

Trinity got on the board first, scoring 5:06 into the first period.  Jumbo junior Anthony Farinacci was sent to the penalty box for boarding, and the Bantams capitalized on the power play opportunity.  A shot by sophomore James Callahan (Gladstone, N.J.) was saved by Jumbo goalie Drew Hotte, but in the commotion in front of the net, junior Andy Chugg (Scottsdale, Ariz.) was able to sneak it past Hotte to put the Bantams on the board.  Assists were credited out to sophomore Timothy Weinstein (Norwood, Mass.) and Callahan.

The Jumbos best opportunity to score the equalizer came almost seven minutes later when Tyler Scroggins unleashed a one-timer that Bantam junior goalie Tedy Loughborough (Wellesley, Mass.) was just able to save.  The Bantams outshot the Jumbos in the first period 14-7, but Tufts won the faceoff battle 14-10.  

A strong defensive effort by the Jumbos in the second period kept the Bantams scoreless in the frame.  Trinity outshot the Jumbos 16-5, but Hotte was a wall in the net and kept the Jumbos in it.  Just under six minutes into the period the Jumbos got their first power play opportunity of the game, and while they were able to possess the puck for most of it, they only managed two shots thanks to a tough Trinity penalty kill.  

The visitors got an insurance goal just over two minutes into the third period.  Off a faceoff in the Jumbo zone won by the Bantams, junior Nick Fiorentino (Hartsdale, N.Y.) fired a one-timer that sailed into the top left corner of the net.  Senior captain Mark Knowlton (Colorado Springs, Colo.) won the faceoff for Trinity and picked up the assist on the goal. 

Just over three minutes later the Bantams added another tally as junior Barclay Gammill (New Canaan, Conn.) snuck the puck past Hotte to give the Bantams a 3-0 advantage.  With just under six minutes remaining in the period, the Jumbos had a power play after Trinity was called for interference.  The Jumbos got off five shots, two of those on goal, but Trinity held stout to come away with the 3-0 shutout.