Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men’s Ice Hockey Skates to Season Opening Victory

Men’s Ice Hockey Skates to Season Opening Victory

Hartford, Conn. – The Trinity College men’s ice hockey team entertained its home crowd Friday night, skating out of an up-tempo game against Connecticut College victorious, 3-1. The Bantams never lost the lead in its campaign opener, seeing three different goal scorers on the evening.

Trinity (1-0-0) needed just six minutes to open the scoring, taking an early 1-0 lead in the first period. It was senior Nick Fiorentino (Hartsdale, N.Y.) who scored Trinity’s first goal of the season. After digging it out in his own end, the defensemen found the tape of junior Eric Benshadle (Buffalo, N.Y.); breaking into a two-on-one, Benshadle slid it back to Fiorentino, whose wrister found twine to make it 1-0.

Moments later, the visitors struck back. Senior Ryan Petti (Tewksbury, Mass.) was able to one-time a redirected shot near the crease, sneaking it through a pair of Trinity bodies and past the glove of senior goalkeeper Tedy Loughborough (Wellesley, Mass.) to level the score.

After closing the first period tied, the Bantams regained control of the lead near the midway point in the second. Eight minutes into the frame, Trinity connected on its second power-play opportunity of the season. Junior Michael Grande (West Chester, Pa.) moved the puck across the blue line to classmate Barclay Gammill (New Cannan, Conn.); his shot was tipped by junior Dylan Healey (Goshen, N.Y.) to find twine, giving the Bantams a 2-1 lead.

Connecticut College continued to battle, but an empty-net goal from sophomore Cole Poliziani (Burlington, Ontario) iced the win for the hosts.

Loughborough finished the evening with 15 saves, seeing great help from his defense, who allowed just one shot in the final 20 minutes of action. The Bantams outshot the Camels 34-16, commanding possession in every period.

Trinity will stay at home, hosting Tufts Saturday afternoon. Puck drop is slated for 4 p.m.