Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Grande’s Game-Winner Lifts #1 Men’s Ice Hockey over #13 Williams

Grande’s Game-Winner Lifts #1 Men’s Ice Hockey over #13 Williams

Hartford, Conn. — Junior Michael Grande’s (West Chester, Pa.) goal with just over eight minutes to play in regulation was the difference maker Saturday afternoon, as the #1 Trinity College men’s ice hockey program took down #13 Williams College 3-2 to remain perfect in NESCAC play. The Bantams (11-1, 6-0 NESCAC) picked up its sixth straight league win, handing the Ephs its second NESCAC loss of the season (8-4, 6-2 NESCAC).

 Senior Tedy Loughborough (Wellesley, Mass.) had a stellar outing between the pipes, making 37 saves in the win — his second-most this season.

In a highly anticipated contest, both teams came out aggressive, peppering shot after shot and exciting the crowd with big hits. With less than two minutes left in the first period, the Ephs converted on its first power play of the contest, making it 1-0. Sophomore Nick Altmann collected a rebound just outside the far faceoff circle, and just 30 seconds into the power play, fired a laser past senior goaltender Tedy Loughborough (Wellesley, Mass.) to take the lead.

With 40 seconds remaining in the first, Trinity leveled the score. Senior Barclay Gammill (New Cannan, Conn.) led an odd-man rush, and saucered a centering pass in to classmate Jack McCarthy (Wakefield, Mass.). McCarthy took a hit on the shot, but his one-timer found the back of the net and tied the game going into the first intermission.

Just 30 seconds into the second period, the Bantams took the lead. After great passing through the neutral zone, Gammill picked up his second point of the night with a great feed to junior Dylan Healey (Goshen, N.Y.); the junior had his first shot partially saved, but was able to drive home the second, giving the Bantams a 2-1 lead and its first power play goal of the evening.

The hosts stepped up the energy, and at the period’s midway point, tied the game. After a turnover in the Bantam defensive end, senior Will Somers was in the right place at the right time; during a scrum just outside the crease, he was able to mash home the equalizer.

After battling it out through the first 12 minutes of the third period, Trinity picked up its third goal of the game, earning a 3-2 lead late in regulation. Junior Michael Grande (West Chester, Pa.) tipped home a pass from sophomore Cole Poliziani (Burlington, Ontario), putting pressure on the hosts late in the contest.

The Bantams have posted 23 goals in its first four games of 2020, and in similar fashion to every other game this season, saw three different goal scorers on the night. Gammill led the way with two assists, and for the first time all year, Trinity was outshot in a win, 39-25. There were 15 combined penalties, with both teams converting once on the power play.

Trinity will use this week to recover before returning home for two games next weekend. The Bantams will play host to Bowdoin Saturday, January 18, at 7:30 p.m.