Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men’s Ice Hockey Drops Saturday Contest Against Hamilton

Men’s Ice Hockey Drops Saturday Contest Against Hamilton

Hartford, Conn. – The Trinity College men’s ice hockey program dropped game two of its weekend slate, falling at home to Hamilton College, 4-1. The Bantams (12-5-1, 7-3-1 NESCAC) netted the game’s opening goal, but two goals in the second and third period sealed the victory for the Continentals (7-7-4, 6-4-2 NESCAC).

Sophomore goaltender Jonah Capriotti (Mount Hope, Ontario) got the start for the Bantams, making 25 saves in the setback. The Bantams outshot the Continentals 32-28, leading the charge against the visitors in the first and third periods.

After pumping 13 shots on net to start the first period, a goal in the very last second of the first period gave the Bantams a 1-0 lead. Junior Devin Moore (Danville, N.H.) make a gritty play along the boards and fed the puck to classmate Taggart Corriveau (New Britain, Conn.). Corriveau made a beautiful pass from the corner of the boards to a streaking Michael Grande (West Chester, Pa.); the junior’s snapshot caught the top-right corner of the net, making it 1-0.

Hamilton went the following 10 minutes trailing before netting the equalizer. First-year Fred Allaire fed junior Justin Felhaber — from the same spot as Grande’s goal, Felhaber one-timed a low shot, sneaking the puck under the pads of sophomore Jonah Capriotti (Mount Hope, Ontario) to even the score.  

With three minutes left in the second half, the Continentals took the lead. After his initial shot was saved, junior Jon Beniers was able to muscle home a shot with two Bantams on him from just outside the crease, with assists credited to Felhaber and junior Teddy Simson.

Hamilton tacked on another goal in the third period, putting the Bantams in an even deeper hole. After nearly killing off a penalty, the Bantams conceded its first special teams goal of the evening; Felhaber picked up his third point of the night, wristing a shot from just inside the blue line that took a deflection before finding the net.

The Bantams applied pressure late, but an empty-net shorthanded goal from senior Sterling Bray finished the Continental scoring four goals.

Trinity couldn’t buy a break in the final period, allotting five of its six penalties in the final 20 minutes while receiving only three power play opportunities.

Trinity will look to regroup next weekend hosting Middlebury and NESCAC-leading Williams. Puck-drop for Friday, February 7, against Middlebury is slated for 7:30 p.m.