Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men’s Ice Hockey Drops Road Contest at Tufts

Men’s Ice Hockey Drops Road Contest at Tufts

Hartford, Conn. — The Trinity College men’s ice hockey program battled from behind the entire 60 minutes Saturday evening, but couldn’t gain an edge, falling to Tufts and splitting the season series, 4-2. The Bantams (12-3-1, 7-2-1 NESCAC) took its second loss of the season, while Tufts (6-10-0, 4-6-0 NESCAC) sought revenge after falling to Trinity earlier in the season.

Tufts goaltender Josh Sarlo played outstanding between the pipes for the Jumbos, making 39 stops in the contest.

Four minutes into the first period, it was the Jumbos who applied pressure early, and it resulted in a goal. Junior Mason Babbage was on the receiving end of a two-on-one break, with senior Cory Gottfried credited the apple. Gottfried saucered the puck over a Trinity stick; Babbage made an outstanding move, catching senior goaltender Tedy Loughborough (Wellesley, Mass.) off his line and tucking it in.

Trinity tied the game with just under five minutes remaining in style, scoring on a four tape-to-tape pass setup. Senior Barclay Gammill (New Cannan, Conn.) one-timed a shot from just outside the faceoff circle after sophomore Lucas Michaud (South Portland, Maine) and junior James Callahan (Gladstone, N.J.) set him up, passing through the Jumbo defense with ease.

Despite pulling level, the Jumbos exploded for two goals at the end of the period, making it 3-1 after the first. Senior Anthony Farinacci tipped home a pass with two minutes remaining before junior Peter Hapton scored 45 seconds later, making the Bantams work out of a hole.

Trinity cut into the lead just four minutes into the second period with a beautiful goal from Gammill his second of the game. Sophomore Kevin O’Leary (New Cannan, Conn.) set him up on the blueline; all alone, he rocketed a snapshot from just inside the line, going bar-down to pull within one.

With just over a minute left in the second period, the Jumbos once again extended its lead to two goals. Sophomore Angus Scott received the puck just outside the crease from sophomore Justin Brandt; all alone, he was able to wrist a shot over the right shoulder of Loughborough, giving the hosts a 4-2 lead after two periods.

Neither side could find the back of the net in the final 20 minutes, despite a flurry of Bantam attacks late in the contest. Saturday’s loss was just the sixth loss against Tufts in program history dating back to 1987.

Trinity will look to regroup with a tough slate next weekend, playing host to Amherst Friday evening and Hamilton Saturday afternoon. Puck drop against the Mammoths on Friday is set for 7:30 p.m.