O'Connell's Four Goals Leads Men's Lacrosse Past Roger Williams in Overtime Thriller

O'Connell's Four Goals Leads Men's Lacrosse Past Roger Williams in Overtime Thriller

Hartford, Conn. – Junior James O'Connell scored a season-high four goals, including the game winner with 55 seconds remaining in overtime, to lead the Trinity men's lacrosse team to a 6-5 win against Roger Williams on Wednesday afternoon at Jessee/Miller Field. The Bantams improve to 4-9 on the year with the win and snapped a five-game losing streak, while the Hawks lost their first road game since March 1 to drop to 11-4.

O'Connell netted the final four goals in the contest for Trinity to help the Bantams climb out of one-goal deficits in both the third and fourth quarters. In overtime, Matthew Hauck (Ridgewood, N.J.) hit O'Connell as he was cutting to the net and the third-year attackman fired a shot past RWU netminder Luke Aubrey (Norwalk, Conn.). Seth Bird (Concord, Mass.) had a goal and two assists for the home team, while senior Chase Growney (Berwyn, Pa.) had the Bantams other tally.

Tim Kelly (Ridgefield, Conn.) scored a team-high two goals for Roger Williams, while Will Siefert (Duxbury, Mass.) also had a multi-point game with a goal and a helper. Caleb Kenney (Portland, Maine) and Michael Pratt (Forestdale, Mass.) each scored a goal for the Hawks as well.

The back and forth contest saw five lead changes and four ties as the non-conference rivals battled  all afternoon. Trinity got on the board first, opening the game with two unanswered goals as Bird and Growney gave the Bantams a 2-0 lead in the first quarter. Roger Williams countered with a two-goal spurt of its own to knot the game at two after the first 15 minutes. O'Connell scored the lone marker in the second as Trinity went into the half with a 3-2 edge.

In the second half, Pratt and Kelly scored for the Hawks as Roger Williams took its first lead of the game just under five minutes into the third. One minute later, O'Connell scored his second of the day with Trinity playing with the extra man as senior Terrence Olsen (Avon, Conn.) picked up the assist. The two squads would play scoreless lacrosse for the remainder of the quarter and Kelly put RWU back in front, 5-4, with a goal two minutes and five seconds into the fourth quarter. With just under four and a half minutes remaining in regulation O'Connell struck again to tie at five.

Junior Makar Zaverucha (Duxbury, Mass.) played well between the pipes for the Bantams, making 15 saves to earn his fourth win of the year. On the opposite end, Aubrey turned aside 15 shots in a losing effort for the Hawks.

Freshman J.R. Mastro (Bedford Hills, N.Y.) caused a game-best three turnovers for Trinity and had a team-leading three groundballs. Senior Alan Williams (Bristol, R.I.) was dominant on faceoffs for the Hawks, winning 12-of-15 and grabbing a game-high 11 groundballs.