Men's Lacrosse Falls to No.8 Ranked Bates, 13-8

Men's Lacrosse Falls to No.8 Ranked Bates, 13-8

Lewiston, Maine -  The Trinity College Bantams lost, 13-8, to the No. 8 ranked Bates Bobcats on Saturday afternoon in a New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) men's lacrosse matchup in Lewiston. Trinity falls to 1-4 on the year and 1-2 in league play while Bates improves to 5-1 overall.

Bates scored five straight goals between the third and fourth quarters to pull away with a 12-5 lead, before Trinity took advantage of a series of Bates turnovers to score three in a row to close the gap to 12-8. Bates' Kyle Weber (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) scored the game's only extra-man goal with 50.9 seconds left for the final margin.

Both teams' goalies played major roles, with Trinity's Henry Coote (Wayne, Pa.) making 17 saves and Bates senior Joe Faria (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.) making 14 stops.

Bates freshman Eli Cooper (Glastonbury, Conn.) had a standout performance on faceoffs, winning 11 of 16 and leading the Bobcats with six ground balls while Trinity freshman Scott Morgan (Grand Rapids, Mich.) won 13 of 25 faceoffs on the day to go along with a team high four ground balls.

Bantam freshman Ben Knaus (Ross, Calif.) scored four goals to lead the Bantams (1-4, 1-2 NESCAC), while senior Ryan DeSimone St. James, N.Y.) added three.

Bates never trailed in the game, but it was a close contest most of the way. After Bates opened the game with a 2-0 lead, the Bantams evened the score with back-to-back goals by junior Stefan Pappas (Millstone, N.J.) and Knaus. Weber's first goal, shot over his left shoulder on the run on the outside left wing, gave Bates the lead for good at 3-2 with 2:43 left in the first quarter. 

The Bobcats went up 4-2, but Trinity pulled within one goal two more times in the second quarter. Knaus made it 4-3 with a strong individual move, dodging two defenders and getting his shot off in the middle of the box. Bates scored on a fast-break after they forced a turnover, but DeSimone had the answer with 4:31 left in the second. Bates tallied one more goal before the end of the half to make it 6-4 at the halfway mark.

Bates senior defender Ken O'Friel (Scarsdale, N.Y.) made it a three-goal game for the first time with 9:22 left in the third quarter. Knaus then closed the gap to 7-5 halfway through the third, but Bates got two goals from Jack Allard (Ridgewood, N.J.) in the final 1:23 of the quarter for a 9-5 advantage. 

The Bobcats expanded the run to 5-0 and made it 12-5 with a pair of goals by Max Breschi (Carlisle, Pa.) sandwiching Weber's second goal of the game. Burke Smith and junior Wes Shrewsbury (Boxford, Mass.) assisted on Breschi's scores.

Knaus ended the run with his fourth tally of the game with 4:39 left in the fourth. The Bantams took advantage of back-to-back turnovers in Bates' defensive end, with the opportunistic DeSimone gathering the ball both times and firing past Faria to make it a 12-8 game with 2:57 left. A pair of penalties called on the Bantams with 1:09 left in the game gave Bates a two-man advantage, and with 50.9 seconds to go Allard assisted on Weber's third goal for the final score of 13-8.

Trinity returns to action on Tuesday, March 22, when they play hosts to Babson. Game time is set for 4 p.m.