Trinity Men's Lacrosse Puts Scare Into Top-Ranked Tufts

Henry Pierandri '17 scooped four ground balls and caused a pair of turnovers
Henry Pierandri '17 scooped four ground balls and caused a pair of turnovers

Hartford, Conn. – The Trinity College Bantams gave the nation's top-ranked team all it could it handle but came up a goal short in a 17-16 setback against the visiting Tufts University Jumbos in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) men's lacrosse action this afternoon on Sheppard Field.  Trinity falls to 2-5 overall and 1-3 in the NESCAC, while Tufts improves to 5-1 overall and 3-0 in the league.  The Bantams came back from a 16-11 deficit after three quarters, and senior captain attackman Ryan DeSimone (Saint James, N.Y.) scored for Trinity with 35 seconds left to make it a one-goal game, but the Bantams could not get off a shot in its final possession in the closing seconds. 

DeSimone opened the final quarter with a goal 26 seconds after the opening face-off, and Trinity sophomore attackman John Careviello (Wellesley, Mass.) made good on a two-man advantage with a goal at the 11:33 mark to pull the Bantams to within three goals at 16-13.  Tufts senior attackman Connor Bibby (Chatham, N.J.) broke a 4:13 scoring drought for both teams with 7:20 on the clock, converting on the eighth assist of the game by classmate John Uppgren (Stillwater, Minn.).  Caraviello answered by feeding Trinity sophomore attackman Jack Sharrio (Marblehead, Mass.) and junior Stefan Pappas (Millstone, N.J.) for goals in the final 6:10 of the contest, before Sharrio assisted DeSimone on the contest's last tally.  Tufts briefly controlled the ball after the ensuing face off, but Trinity junior defenseman Henry Pierandri (Ridgefield, Conn.) picked up a ground ball deep in the Jumbo end.  Tufts prevented Trinity from setting up offensively in the closing seconds, however, and the Bantams ran out of time.

Tufts had taken a 4-2 lead after one quarter, as senior midfielder Jake Gillespie (Topsfield, Mass.) scored twice for the visitors.  The squads combined for 13 goals in the second frame, with each scoring three unassisted tallies in the first six minutes to make the score, 7-5, before the Jumbos went on a 5-1 run over the next 6:16 of the game.  DeSimone scored the last goal before intermission at the 1:52 mark and Tufts led, 12-7, halfway through the game.  Pappas scored back-to-back unassisted tallies less than a minute apart, and DeSimone assisted rookie attackman Ben Knaus (Ross, Calif.) on another Trinity goal to cut the home team's deficit to a pair at 12-10 with 8:01 left in the third quarter.  Four straight Jumbo goals in a 4:20 span pushed the Tufts lead up to 16-10, but a Caraviello goal with 19 seconds on the clock closed the third frame.

Trinity finished with a 55-to-45 shooting edge and Tufts committed 23 turnovers, but the Jumbos won 27 of 38 face-offs and had a 43-to-24 advantage on ground balls.  Caraviello paced the Bantam offense with four goals and two assists, while DeSimone scored four times and assisted on a fifth goal, and Pappas totaled five points on three goals and two assists.  Senior goalie Henry Coote (Wayne, Pa.) finished with 14 saves, while Pierandri led the Trinity defenders with four ground balls and two caused turnovers.  Uppgren led all scorers with four goals to go with his eight assists, while Gillespie scored four times, and senior attackman Ben Andreycak (Pleasantville, N.Y.) added a hat trick plus two assists for Tufts.  Jumbo senior midfielder Conor Helfrich (North Andover, Mass.) took every face off and scooped a game-high 16 ground balls, while classmate Alex Salazar (Summit, N.J.) made 19 stops in goal.