Trinity Men's Lacrosse Falls to Skidmore in Final Seconds of Home Opener

Ben Knaus '19
Ben Knaus '19

Hartford, Conn. - Junior Ben Knaus (Ross, Calif.) recorded a hat trick and added two assists, but it was not enough as the Trinity College men's lacrosse team lost its home opener, 12-11 to Skidmore College on Tuesday evening at Jessee/Miller Field in Hartford.  Trinity falls to 1-1 overall while the Thoroughbreds improve to 3-1 on the year. The Bantams return to action on Saturday when they open their New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) schedule with a 1 p.m. matchup at home versus Williams College.

Trinity sophomore Andrew Collins (Brookefield, Conn) scored his fourth goal of the season just 1:29 into the first quarter to give the Bantams an early lead.  Minutes later, Skidmore first-year Jason Shlonsky (Mount Sinai, N.Y.) evened the score off an assist by RJ Caruso (Burlington, Mass.). Trinity responded as Knaus came around the circle to beat Thoroughbred senior goaltender Chris Baughan (Foxborough, Mass.).  Skidmore responded once again, to tie the game 2-2, but was soon thereafter called for a pushing penalty. Trinity capitalized on the man-up scenario as junior Teddy Myers (Washington, D.C.) netted his second goal of the season, assisted by sophomore Ben Ferrucci (Essex, Conn.). Junior Max DeLaMater (Irvington, N.Y.) beat the goalie short side for his second point of the game to give the Bantams a 4-2 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Skidmore senior Brendan Halloran (Pleasantville, N.Y.) took advantage of a Trinity penalty early in the second quarter, scoring with 11:48 showing on the clock.  At the 8:48 mark, Jack Curry (Holliston, Mass.) tied the game for the Thoroughbreds with an assist credited to Caruso. Trinity ended the small run when sophomore midfielder Morty Fearey (Duxbury, Mass.) recorded his first goal of the season, assisted by Myers, which came as the only Trinity goal of the quarter.  Halloran netted his second goal of the quarter with 4:15 left to leave the game tied, 5-5 at half.

Trinity came out swinging in the third quarter, scoring six unanswered goals to open up an 11-5 lead.  Senior Jack Stallman (Barrington, R.I.) ignited the run with a goal less than two minutes into the half before Ferrucci added a score to make it 7-5 Bantams. Knaus scored back-to-back, sandwiched between two more goals by Stallman as the Bantams opened up an 11-5 advantage. Halloran, Eric Megnia (West Barnstable, Mass.) and Cody Legeza (Ponte Vedra, Fla.) scored three-straight goals for Skidmore to end the Bantam run and cut the deficit to 11-8, but Collins had the final say for Trinity in the third, scoring with 0:33 left on an assist from Knaus to give Trinity a 12-8 lead entering the final quarter.

The Thoroughbreds scored five unanswered goals in the final quarter to come from behind and pick up the victory.  Halloran netted two goals in the first five minutes allowing the Thoroughbreds to climb their way back in the game. Megnia posted three of his four goals in the final eight minutes of the game, including the game-winner with nine seconds left in a 12-12 tie, to lead the way for the visitors.

Trinity senior tri-captain Woody Hamilton (Williamstown, Mass.) had 11 saves between the pipes for Trinity while Halloran led all players with five goals and two assists. Junior Scott Morgan (East Grand Rapids, Mich.) played well in the faceoff circle for Trinity, winning 16 of 26 faceoffs and collecting 10 ground balls.