Trinity Men's Lacrosse Edged by No. 4 Tufts in Fourth Quarter

Teddy Myers '19
Teddy Myers '19

Hartford, Conn. - The Trinity College men's lacrosse team fell in the final quarter to the No. 4-ranked Tufts University Jumbos, 16-14, in a New England Small Conference Athletic Conference (NESCAC) matchup on Saturday afternoon at Jessee/Miller Field in Hartford. The Jumbos improve to 5-0 overall and 3-0 in the conference while the Bantams fall to 2-4 on the season and 0-2 in the NESCAC. Trinity returns to action on Tuesday evening at 6 p.m. when they take on Babson College under the lights at home.

Junior Scott Morgan (Kent, Conn.) dominated in the circle for the Bantams, winning 21 of 33 faceoffs, and scooping up a game-high 11 ground balls. Seven Trinity players found the back of the net on the day, led by sophomore Andrew Collins (Brookfield, Conn.) who tallied a season-high four goals, while juniors Ben Knaus (Ross, Calif.) and Max DeLaMater (Irvington, N.Y.) scored three goals and two goals, respectfully. Senior Brian Crowe (Cranbury, N.J.) collected five ground balls for Trinity, while classmate Matthew Barker (Sudbury, Mass.) finished with three ground balls and had one caused turnover. Tufts junior attackman Ben Connelly (Winnetka, Ill.) scored four unanswered goals in the third quarter to lead the Tufts offense along with senior Andrew Seiter (Ridgewood, N.J.) and sophomore Nick Shanks (Laguna Beach, Calif.) who scored three goals apiece.

The Bantam offense came ready to play as they took an early, 8-4 lead in the first quarter over the Jumbos, who came into the day yielding just seven goals per game to their opponents. Trinity sophomore Ben Ferrucci (Essex, Conn.) scored an early goal at the 14:13 mark, but Tufts' Danny Murphy (Hauppauge, N.Y.) responded quickly to even the score at 1-1 early. The teams went back and forth as first-year Stephen Decker (Morristown, N.J.) scored an unassisted goal, but less than a minute later, Tufts tied the game once again. Knaus recorded his only assist of the game on Collin's goal at the halfway point of the first quarter but once again, Tufts responded with the equalizer. Trinity came back with three-straight goals by Knaus, DeLaMater, and junior Teddy Myers (Washington, D.C.), who also had an assist on DeLaMater's goal, to open up a 6-3 advantage. Collins and Drew Kozub (Hopkington, Mass.) scored the final goals of the quarter, both assisted by Myers, as the Bantams took an 8-4 lead into the second quarter.

Tufts scored four of the six goals in the second quarter, but was unable to take the lead against the Bantams. The first nine minutes of the half came and went without a goal before the Jumbo offense scored two goals in less than a minute from Nick Shanks (Laguna Beach, Calif.) and Garrett Samuelson (Basking Ridge, N.J.). Knaus netted his second goal of the game, assisted by Jack McInnis (North Andover, Mass.) to maintain the Trinity lead with 8:33 remaining before the half. After a man-up tally by the Jumbos, Collins scored his second goal of the half, assisted by Myers, for the Bantams to go into halftime leading 10-8.

The Jumbos scored five unanswered goals, including one from Frank Hattler (Palo Alto, Calif.) and four from Connelly, to start the third quarter to give Tufts its first lead of the game. Knaus scored the first Bantam goal of the quarter with 3:40 left, followed by goals from DeLaMater and Ferrucci, both assisted by Myers, with under a minute left in the quarter to tie things at 13-13. Tufts senior Andrew Seither scored two goals in the final quarter, while sophomore Matt Triebler had one to give the Jumbos a three-goal lead with just over three minutes to play. Collins scored his fourth goal of the game with 2:48 left, but it was not enough as the Bantams lost, 16-14. Senior goalie Woody Hamilton (Williamstown, Mass.) recorded 15 saves on the day while Tufts starting goalie Robert Treiber (Medfield, Mass.) turned aside 11 shots.