Last Minute Goal Propels Trinity Men's Lacrosse Past Babson

Ben Knaus '19 scored the game-winner with just 59 seconds left on Tuesday night.
Ben Knaus '19 scored the game-winner with just 59 seconds left on Tuesday night.

Hartford, Conn. - Junior Ben Knaus found the back of the net with just 59 seconds left to lift the Trinity College men's lacrosse team to a 13-12 victory over the visiting Babson College Beavers on Tuesday night at Jessee/Miller Field in Hartford. The Bantams improve to 3-4 on the year while Babson falls to 3-5 overall. Trinity turns its attention to this weekend when it travels to Maine to face New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) opponent Bowdoin College.

After leading for virtually the entire second half, Trinity found itself tied with the Beavers with just 2:53 remaining in the game when Babson sophomore Owen Allen (Franklin, Mass.) scored to even the score at 12-12. Babson killed a penalty called shortly after the ensuing faceoff before Trinity was called for a cross-check with 2:15 left to give the Beavers a man-up opportunity of their own. The Bantams held strong and killed the penalty before senior captain Ryan Tassan (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.) came up clutch, causing a turnover and scooping up a ground ball which allowed Trinity to call a time out to set up the potential game-winning possession. Knaus scored shortly after play resumed for his team-best 14th goal of the year, sending the Bantams into a controlled frenzy with less than a minute showing on the scoreboard.

Babson senior Connor Maloney (Hopkinton, Mass.) came away with the final faceoff of the game to give the Beavers one last chance to tie things, but a shot by Allen with 25 seconds remaining was turned aside by Trinity senior captain and goalie, Woody Hamilton (Williamstown, Mass.). Babson scooped up the loose ball off the save but the Bantam defense forced one final turnover to seal the victory.

Knaus led Trinity with four goals on 12 shots while sophomore Andrew Collins (Brookfield, Conn.) and junior Max DeLaMater (Irvington, N.Y.) each tallied two scores as well. Junior Teddy Myers (Washington, D.C.) continued to play catalyst for Trinity on offense, following up his record-setting performance last weekend with a team-high three assists on Tuesday. Junior Scott Morgan (Grand Rapids, Mich.) was once again dominant in the circle, coming away with 19-of-25 faceoffs on the day for a game-high 13 ground balls. Hamilton made 13 saves in net while his counterpart, Babson goalie Christopher Aranalde (Rockville Centre, N.Y.), ended the game with nine. Babson was paced by Samuel Mishkind (Chappaqua, N.Y.) who had a game-high five goals while Niall Dillon (Duxbury, Mass.) added three.

Both teams kept pace with each other in the first half, heading into the half tied 8-8. The Bantams outscored Babson, 5-3, in the first quarter before Babson flipped the script and scored five goals to Trinity's three in the second quarter. Mishkind scored four of his five goals in the second quarter. Axel Brown scored with 11:16 left to go in the third quarter to give the Beavers their first lead since 2-0, but DeLaMater, Knaus and Kozub netted three-straight for the Bantams to reclaim an 11-9 lead at the end of the third before the fourth quarter's fireworks.