Trinity Men's Lacrosse Tripped Up By Wesleyan

Will Hay '20
Will Hay '20

Hartford, Conn. - The Wesleyan University Cardinals took an 8-4 lead into halftime before ultimately winning, 11-6, versus the Trinity College Bantams on Tuesday late afternoon in a New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) men's lacrosse matchup at Jessee/Miller Field in Hartford. Trinity falls to 4-7 on the year and 1-6 in NESCAC play while Wesleyan improves to 9-2 overall and 6-1 in league play. The Bantams return to action on Saturday for their final regular season game in front of the home crowd. Trinity will honor the members of its senior class beforehand as part of Senior Day.

Trinity junior Spud Dunn (McLean, Va.) and rookie Drew Kozub (Hopkinton, Mass.) led the way for the Bantams, scoring two goals apiece, while sophomore Andrew Collins (Brookfield, Conn.) tallied a score and two assists. Trinity won 12-of-21 faceoffs, eight of which were controlled by junior Scott Morgan (Grand Rapids, Mich.) who also collected a team-high five ground balls. Defensively, senior Matthew Barker (Sudbury, Mass.) paced the Bantams with a pair of caused turnovers while senior tri-captain Woody Hamilton (Williamstown, Mass.) stopped 11 shots in net. 

Ronan Jacoby (Glastonbury, Conn.) led all players with six goals on ten shots while Cole Turpin (New Canaan, Conn.) and Harry Stanton (New Canaan, Conn.) both found the back of the net twice each for Wesleyan. Andres Rodriguez (Morristown, N.J.) tallied a game-best seven ground balls while Otto Bohan (Westlake, Ohio) made eight saves in his seventh win between the pipes this spring.

Turpin, Stanton and Jacoby all scored for the Cardinals, in order, in the game's opening quarter to give the visitors an early, 3-0 advantage. Collins stopped the bleeding with his 16th goal of the season thanks to an assist from junior Max DeLaMater (Irvington, N.Y.) with 3:50 left in the first quarter, but Jacoby scored again, this time with just eight seconds left, to put Wesleyan ahead, 4-1, after one.

Jacoby scored three more times in the first 7:40 of the second quarter to help the Cardinals maintain a healthy lead before the half. Kozub scored the first and last Bantam goal of the second quarter, coupled with one from Dunn, to keep Trinity in it as Wesleyan entered the break with a four goal lead.

The third quarter was all Wesleyan as the Cardinals scored the lone two goals in the third, 15-minute frame. Turpin kicked things off with a man-up tally at 8:58 before Stanton scored via an assist from Carter Hawthorne (Massapequa, N.J.) with 1:27 to go before the fourth to open up a six-goal lead for Wesleyan. Jacoby scored once more in the fourth while Dunn and classmate Max Herman (San Francisco, Calif.) added goals for Trinity but the Cardinals never faltered down the stretch, holding on for the 11-6 victory.