Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Second Half Rally Versus Middlebury Falls Short For Trinity Men's Lacrosse on Senior Day

Tri-captain Woody Hamilton '18
Tri-captain Woody Hamilton '18

Hartford, Conn. - Junior Teddy Myers (Washington, D.C.) scored with 48 seconds left to set up a potential game-tying possession for the Trinity College men's lacrosse team but a last second shot by rookie Drew Kozub (Hopkinton, Mass.) was turned aside by Middlebury goalie Charles Midgley (Scarborough, Pa.) as the Panthers held on for a 13-12 victory on Saturday afternoon in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) men's lacrosse action at Jessee/Miller Field. Trinity falls to 4-8 on the year and 1-7 in the conference while Middlebury improves to 7-5 overall and 4-4 in NESCAC play. Before the game, the Bantams honored seniors Jack Walsh (Needham, Mass.), Jack Stallman (Barrington, R.I.), Woody Hamilton (Williamstown, Mass.), Matthew Barker (Sudbury, Mass.), Ryan Tassan (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.), Brian Crowe (Cranbury, N.J.) and student-coach Charlie Malhame as part of Senior Day.

Trinity had a chance to tie the game late thanks largely in part to junior Scott Morgan (Grand Rapids, Mich.) who was dominant in the faceoff circle for the Bantams, finishing 14-for-21 with a game-high 10 ground balls. Myers led the Bantams with a hat trick while sophomore Andrew Collins (Brookfield, Conn.) finished with a pair of scores. Junior Ben Knaus (Ross, Calif.) led all players with four assists and tallied a goal as well while Hamilton finished with 13 saves, including a handful of clutch stops late to keep Trinity in it.

Middlebury was led by Michael McCormack (Williamstown, Mass.), Henry Riehl (Baltimore, Md.) and A.J. Kucinski (Cohasset, Mass.) who each scored three times on the afternoon. Zeke Emerson (Deerfield, Mass.) caused a game-high three turnovers for the Panthers while Midgley was equally as impressive between the pipes, finishing the day with 12 saves. 

After falling behind, 8-5 at the half, Trinity found momentum in the second half to get right back in the game. Kucinski scored with 10:08 left to play in the third to hand the visitors a 9-5 lead but the Bantams came right back with three unanswered to cut the deficit to 9-8. Knaus fed classmate Max DeLaMater (Irvington, N.Y.) to ignite the spurt before sophomore Ben Ferrucci (Essex, Conn.) and junior Max Herman (San Francisco, Calif.) got involved in the scoring to make it a one goal game. McCormack responded for Middlebury with a ridiculous goal, however, to end the Bantam run and reclaim a two goal advantage for the Panthers. Hamilton came up with a save on a shot by Frank Cosolito (Medfield, Mass.) but was unable to keep the ball in his stick. The rebound went straight to McCormack who caught it and shot it all in one motion for the goal.

The Panthers scored the final goal of the third and first goal of the fourth quarter to jump out to a 12-8 lead, but Trinity was not done. Myers came back with two unassisted goals to cut the deficit back to two, while junior Spud Dunn (McLean, Va.) beat Midgley thanks to an assist from Knaus, stationed behind the goal, to make it a 12-11 game in Middlebury's favor. Riehl scored his third goal of the day with 5:01 left to give the Panthers a multiple goal lead once again, but once again the Bantams had an answer.

DeLaMater connected with Myers with just 48 ticks left to give Trinity one last glimmer of hope at scoring the equalizer. Morgan came up clutch once again off the ensuing faceoff to give Trinity possession, but a shot by Kozub with time winding down was gobbled up by Midgley who sent the ball downfield and out of harm's way as Middlebury narrowly escaped Hartford with a victory.