Men's Lacrosse Grinds Out 8-7 Victory Over Connecticut College

Connor McCulloch '22
Connor McCulloch '22

Hartford, Conn. - After trailing, 2-1 at the half, the Trinity College men's lacrosse team scored six times in the second half and came up with a handful of key stops late to edge the Connecticut College Camels, 8-7, on Wednesday night at Jessee/Miller Field in Hartford. The Bantams improve to 7-3 on the year and 2-3 in the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) while the Camels fall to 3-7 overall and 0-6 in conference play. Trinity returns to action on Saturday for a 1 p.m. showdown in Clinton, New York versus the Hamilton Continentals.

Both teams came out strong on defense to begin the game. Neither team found the back of the net until ten seconds left in the opening quarter on a goal by Jack Rutter (Madison, N.J.) that ended the near-15 minute drought. Trinity's defense forced three Camel shot clock violation in the game's first quarter. Both goalies combined for nine saves in the first frame with Connecticut College junior Colin Smith (Mount Kisco, N.Y.) making seven stops.

The Camels won the faceoff to start the second half which led to a goal scored by Peter Pickard (Medfield, Mass.) to open up a 2-0 advantage. Both sides put up a total of 25 shots in the second quarter but only a pair of scores were recorded. Trinity finally broke the tie with 8:29 left when junior Andrew Collins (Brookfield, Conn.) dished it to sophomore Drew Kozub (Hopkinton, Mass.) who beat Smith to the back of the net.

The scoring picked up in the second half with four combined goals in the third quarter and eight in the fourth. Trinity junior Ben Ferrucci (Essex, Conn.) scored with 9:13 remaining in the third before Connecticut College responded with back-to-back scores to extend its lead to 4-2. Trinity kept its composure, cutting the deficit to one on Ferrucci's second tally of the evening with just over four minutes to go before the fourth quarter. The Bantams nearly scored before Ferrucci's second goal when first-year Connor McCulloch (Alexandria, Va.) fired a shot on goal that bounced off the pipe.

Trailing by one, the Bantams struck first in the fourth quarter with consecutive goals by McCulloch to take their first lead all night. The first came when senior Teddy Myers (Washington, D.C.) fired a shot that was stopped, but not secured by Smith. McCulloch came crashing the net, scooped up the loose ball and flicked it into the back of the net, all while avoiding falling into the crease, to give Trinity the 5-4 lead. 

Rutter got one back for the Camels to tie things just a minute later before Ferrucci struck again with 7:39 left to play. Jordan Foster (Las Vegas, Nev.) scored his second goal of the game a minute after Ferrucci's to tie the game for the fourth time on the evening, but the Bantams came through with a pair of timely goals to open a two-goal lead which proved to be insurmountable. 

Senior John Caraviello (Wellesley, Mass.) wrapped around the back of the net and fired from near impossible angles two times within 3:03 of one another to put Trinity ahead 8-6. Trinity's defense came up big late, preventing the Camels from getting any sort of look at goal. Connecticut College scored a goal in desperation mode with 31 seconds left when Winston Palmeri (Denver, Colo.) scored on a feed from PJ Kelleher (Walpole, Mass.), but Trinity senior Scott Morgan (East Grand Rapids, Mich.) won the ensuing faceoff to allow the Bantams to run out the clock and hold on for the victory.

Ferrucci led Trinity with his three scores while Caraviello and McCulloch each tallied two. Senior Alex Notman (Wellesley Hills, Mass.) led the Bantam defense with two caused turnovers while Morgan led all players with nine ground balls and went 12-for-19 at the dot. Senior Greg Barletta (Canton, Mass.) was stellar in net for Trinity, setting a career-high with 15 saves.