Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Trinity Men's Lacrosse Bounces Bates On The Road

Jackson Trimmer '23 had an assist, two ground balls, and a caused turnover
Jackson Trimmer '23 had an assist, two ground balls, and a caused turnover

Lewiston, Maine- Sophomore attacker Connor McCulloch (Alexandria, Va.) had five goals, three assists and five ground balls to lead the visiting Trinity College Bantams to their first victory against the Bates College men's lacrosse team since 2014, 16-11, in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) action at Garcelon Field on Saturday.  The visiting Bantams, now 2-1 overall and 1-1 in the NESCAC took a 5-2 lead after one quarter, then outscored the Bobcats, 5-2, again in the third quarter to pull away for the conference win.  The Bobcats drop to 1-4 overall and 0-2 in the conference.  Bates next plays at Western New England University Tuesday at 5 p.m. Trinity will host Clark Wednesday at 7 p.m.

Sophomore attacker Reid McDonald (Aldie, Va.) scored four times for Trinity, while rookie Cullen Wolff (Maplewood, N.J.) added two goals and an assist and first-yearThomas Mara (Irvington, N.Y.) passed out four assists. First-year Peter O'Donnell-Sheehan (Pomfret, Conn.) was a defensive force with three caused turnovers and five ground balls, while rookie Patrick Grimes (Morristown, N.J.) made 11 saves to earn the win in goal.  Rob Strain made 10 saves for Bates.  Trinity outshot Bates by a slight 48-45 margin and turned the ball over eight fewer times than the hosts, while overcoming a 21-9 Bates advantage in faceoffs won.  Matt Chlastawa had a goal and five assists to lead the Bates attack while Curtis Knapton, Otis Klingbeil and Jack Golden scored two goals apiece. Brendan Mullally scored a goal and added two assists, and Jack Lousararian added a goal and an assist.  Junior Chris Costello took every faceoff for the Bobcats, winning 21 of 30 and scooping a game-high nine ground balls.

Bates struck first on a fast break initiated by defender Will Haskell's ground ball, with Klingbeil scoring on a turnaround rip off a feed from Mullally. Trinity answered with 10:34 to go in the quarter, as McDonald carried from the restart right through an open lane on the left wing to score.  Chlastawa put Bates back ahead with his first goal of the season, as Lousararian scooped a loose ball off the rebound of Steven Canale's shot off the post, and found Chlastawa open by the left post.  Trinity tied it, 2-2, with 8:00 to go, when McCulloch ended a long scramble for a loose ball around Bates' defensive zone, by flicking it past Strain from in front. Trinity won the ensuing faceoff and scored less than a minute later, with McCulloch feeding sophomore Jackson Wood (Alexandria, Va.) to put the Bantams ahead for the first time and for good at 3-2. The Bantams finished the quarter with a 4-0 run, as Morty Fearey (Duxbury, Mass.) scored on an assist from Wolff at 5:13 and Jackson Trimmer  (Stamford, Conn.) fed Drew Kozub (Hopkinton, Mass.) with 2:05 left.

Bates scored the first two goals of the second quarter, closing the gap to 5-4 before Trinity had gained possession in the period. Will Schinabeck scored 40 seconds into the quarter, and Chlastawa fed Knapton for a score at the 13:40 mark. But Trinity scored three of the next four to regain a three-goal advantage, as McDonald scored on both sides of a Golden score, and Wolff's unassisted tally at 8:20 made it 8-5. Chlastawa hit Knapton on the run again to close the gap to 8-6, but Trinity neutralized the score seconds later, as junior Liam Fitzgerald (Skillman, N.J.) won the faceoff, scooped the ground ball and fired past Strain for a 9-6 lead that Trinity took into halftime.

Bates closed within two for the last time to when Golden scored on a run from the right wing in the opening minute of the third quarter. Trinity answered three minutes later as Mara fed McDonald. Mara assisted again 42 seconds later to McCulloch, and McCulloch opened a 12-7 lead with a man-up goal scored with 8:26 to go in the third.  Mullally scored from Chlastawa with 8:02 to go to make it 12-8. But Trinity regained a five-goal lead less than a minute later. O'Donnell-Sheehan stole the ball away after Bates won the faceoff, and with 7:04 to go, McCulloch buried an open shot at the left post after Mara escaped a double-team and found his open teammate. Mara assisted McCulloch for the third time in the period with 5:10 to go, as Trinity scored a man-up goal for a 14-8 lead the Bantams took into the final quarter.  The teams traded goals over the fourth quarter as the Bobcats could not threaten the Bantam lead.