Trinity Men's Soccer Falls to Bowdoin, 2-1, in Overtime

Trinity Men's Soccer Falls to Bowdoin, 2-1, in Overtime

Hartford, Conn. – Bowdoin rookie Max McPherron (Weston, Mass.) banged home the game-winner 7:52 into overtime to give the Polar Bears a 2-1 victory over the Trinity College Bantams on Saturday afternoon in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) men's soccer action on Trinity's campus in Hartford. The loss drops Trinity to 1-8-1 overall and 0-6-1 in conference action while Bowdoin improves to 8-2 on the year and 4-1 in league play.

Bowdoin won the shot battle, 15-9, while Trinity finished the day with six corners to Bowdoin's three. Bantam senior tri-captain Mateo Zabala (Medellin, Colombia) made eight saves on the afternoon while his counterpart, Polar Bear senior keeper Stevie Van Siclen (Carlisle, Mass.) stopped five Trinity shots.

Bowdoin opened the scoring action with a goal at 9:43 in the first half by Bowdoin senior Wilson MacMillan (Fairbault, Minn.) who scored on a penalty kick. Trinity was whistled for a foul in the box which led to the score. MacMillan sent a low line drive into the left corner of the net as Zabala guessed right.  The Bantams had a pair of great scoring chances in the first half, the first of which came when senior tri-captain Cody Savonen (Orleans, Mass.) slipped behind the Polar Bear defense and sent a shot off his left foot that nearly came as the equalizer but hit the top crossbar and bounced out of bounds. Senior Scott Brazina (Concord, Mass.) later had a clean look at net but Van Siclen came up with the clutch save.

With a 1-0 lead in the second half, Bowdoin was called for a foul in the box which gave Trinity an opportunity to tie it. Sophomore Henry Farr (Philadelphia, Pa.) lined up to take the shot for the Bantams and buried the ball past Van Siclen to even the score at 1-1. Both goalies played strong down the stretch, coming up with a handful of clutch saves late. Bowdoin junior Levi Morant (Beford, N.Y.) had a pair of chances but was not able to convert either, blasting one off the crossbar and the other right into the waiting arms of Zabala. With under a minute left, Bowdoin had one last chance to win it in regulation after being awarded an indirect shot from just outside Trinity's goal box. Ethan Ellsworth (Greenlawn, N.Y.) wrapped a shot on net around the Bantams' defensive wall but Zabala was once again there to make the save.

Brazinasent a hard hit ball into the chest of Van Siclen early in the extra session for the first true look for either side but the Bowdoin netminder was able to catch it cleanly. The Polar Bears finally broke through when the ball bounced to McPherron who was one-on-one with Zabala and hit home the game-winner off the outside of his right foot to the right side of the goal.