Men’s Soccer Edged by Bates in Double Overtime

Alistair Matule '21
Alistair Matule '21


Hartford, Conn. – Peder Bakken (Seattle, Wash.) scored with 1:48 left in the second overtime to lift the Bates College Bobcats to a 2-1 victory over the Trinity College Bantams on Saturday afternoon in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) men's soccer action in Hartford. The Bobcats improve to 5-2 overall and 3-2 in conference play while the Bantams fall to 2-6 on the year and 0-5 in league action.

Both teams played a majority of the first half in the middle third of the field, as they combined for just four shots on goal. Bates had a good scoring opportunity midway through the half off of a corner. Eric Opoku (Accra, Ghana) and Frederick Hohmann (Bonn, Germany) both put shots on net just seconds apart, but both times Bantam rookie goalie Everett Lyons (Southport, Conn.) was there to make the save.

Bates broke through in the 38th minute when Austin Sansone (New York, N.Y.) snuck through the Trinity defense and received a great through-ball from Bakken. Sansone found himself one-on-one with Lyons who was forced to come out of the net to try and stop the shot. Sansone, wrapped a shot off his left foot, just past  Lyons, and into the back of the net to put the Bobcats up, 1-0.

The Bobcats nearly made it a 2-0 game with 31 minutes left in the second half when Morgan Dewdney (Meriden, N.H) fired a shot off of a corner kick, but Lyons shut the door once again. Just a few minutes later, the Bantams found the equalizer in the form of a goal by sophomore Alistair Matule (Charlestown, Mass.). Matule was set up by a long pass from classmate Henry Belt (Brookline, Mass.) near midfield. Bates Robbie Montanaro (Belmont, Mass) came out of the goal to try and intercept the long pass, but Matule was able to control the pass, beat Montanaro and chip in an easy goal into the empty net to tie things at 1-1.

Trinity increased the pressure and had a pair of good scoring looks, the first off a shot from senior tri-captain William Baker (Los Angeles, Calif.). Baker's shot missed just wide of the net, but forced Montanaro to lay out just in case. A few moments later, sophomore Dagoberto Nunez Jr. (Central Falls, R.I.) sent rookie Pierce O'Malley (Ridgewood, N.J.) on a run towards goal, but O'Malley was unable to control the pass which fell into the arms of Montanaro.

A shot from Bobcat junior Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene (Bronx, N.Y.) in the 75th minute looked like it was going to put Bates ahead, 2-1, but the ball instead bounced off the top crossbar and away from danger. Despite a handful of scoring chances late, neither side was able to find the game-winner in regulation as the game went to overtime.

In the second overtime, Sansone nearly lifted Bates to victory as he found himself alone with Lyons one-on-one. Lyons came out of goal to try and thwart a shot, but Sansone was able to fire one off. Luckily for the Bantams, Lyons put himself right in front of the shot and kept it away from goal as it bounced away towards midfield.

Just minutes later, the Bobcats came up with the game-winner on Bakken's second goal of the season. Liam Goldfarb (New York, N.Y.) ripped a shot that was saved by Lyons, however the rebound fell right to Bakken, who made good on the try and buried the ball into the back of the net to give the visitors the 2-1 overtime victory.