Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Soccer Falls in Slugfest Versus Western Connecticut State

Alex Steel '19
Alex Steel '19

Hartford, Conn. - In a game that saw eight combined goals, it was the Western Connecticut State University Colonials that came out on top, 5-3, over the Trinity College men's soccer team on Tuesday night in Hartford. Chauncey Allers (Wilton, Conn.) led the Colonials with four first half goals as WCSU improves to 10-2-2 on the year. The Bantams fall to 2-9 overall ahead of a pair of New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) home matches this weekend, versus Middlebury on Saturday at 11 a.m. and versus Tufts on Sunday at 3 p.m.

Trinity senior tri-captain Alex Steel (Weston, Conn.) put the Bantams up, 2-0, early thanks to two goals in the game's first 10:35. Steel found the back of the net first in the 4th minute thanks to an assist from sophomore Alistair Matule (Charlestown, Mass.). Matule had possession near WCSU's box and dropped a pass to Steel who planted and fired the ball past Colonial starting goalie Luca DiCarlo (Waterbury, Conn.) for the 1-0 lead. In the 11th minute, Steel scored his second goal of the season with a beautiful strike from distance, arcing a shot past the outstretched arm of DiCarlo and into the upper left corner of the goal.

Allers scored twice, just over a minute apart, midway through the first half to even the score at 2-2. His first goal came when DiCarlo booted a ball downfield that bounced over everyone, directly to Allers who snuck past Trinity's back line. Allers chipped the ball past Trinity sophomore netminder Andrew Clark (Short Hills, N.J.) to bring the Colonials within one. Just 1:22 later, in the 25th minute, the Bantams were whistled for a foul in the box, giving the visitors a penalty kick. Allers made good on the attempt to tie things at 2-2.

Allers scored twice more before the half to give WCSU a 4-2 lead at the break. His third goal came in the 33rd minute before a WCSU corner kick, served in by Robert Della Penna (Suffield, Conn.), found the head of Allers who redirected the ball into the back of the net for the fourth goal of the half. 

The Bantams struck back in the 56th minute in the second half when sophomore Nigel Gustave (Baltimore, Md.) scored his second goal of the season off another assist from Matule. Trinity earned a corner kick which was taken by sophomore Henry Belt (Brookline, Mass.) who booted the ball into traffic. WCSU tried to clear it but Matule got possession, dumped a pass to Gustave who fired a shot from deep that sailed over DiCarlo and just under the top crossbar for the goal. 

Despite the momentum, the Colonials added to their lead thanks to a goal from Matthew Restrepo (Bridgeport, Conn.), off Della Penna's second assist of the evening, in the 61st minute. Trinity was unable to make up the two goal lead as the Colonials escaped Hartford with the 5-3 victory.