Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men’s Soccer Ends Losing Skid with 1-1 Draw at Western Connecticut

Men’s Soccer Ends Losing Skid with 1-1 Draw at Western Connecticut

Hartford, Conn. – The Trinity College men's soccer team broke its eleven-game losing streak on Tuesday night, drawing with non-conference Western Connecticut State, 1-1. The Bantams played from behind through the opening of the second half before senior Michael Burns (Oreland, Pa.) tallied his first of the season. Western Connecticut (11-4-1) came into the game sporting a 4-1 record in the month of October, while the Bantams (1-11-1) will look to take Tuesday's positivity into a homecoming battle against Wesleyan this Saturday.

After playing a scoreless 45 minutes to start the evening, the rain set in at the same time as the scoring. Junio Rafa Reyes (Bridgeport, Conn.) found the back of the net in the 58th minute on a feed from classmate Mikey Sciortino (Shelton, Conn.) to give the hosts a 1-0 lead.

Trinity responded just minutes later, scoring its first goal of the month in exciting fashion. Senior Michael Burns buried his first of the season, ripping a shot from 30 yards out that floated over the outstretched hands of the keeper and into the back of the net to tie the game.

After two overtimes, neither side could find an edge; the two tied for the first time in their respective seasons.

Sophomore Anes Gadun (Clinton, Conn.) played an outstanding game between the posts for the Bantams, making six stops on the evening. For Burns, his first goal of the season doubled as the first goal of his career; the back registered just one point before Tuesday night.

Western Connecticut edged the Bantams in shots 15-7, with each squad finding the target seven times. The Colonials also held the advantage in corner kicks, 10-2.

Trinity will take the draw into Homecoming Weekend, and will look for its first NESCAC win of the season against Wesleyan. Kick-off for Saturday, October 26, is slated for 11 a.m.