Men’s Soccer Concedes Two Second-Half Goals, Falls to Eastern Connecticut at Home

Men’s Soccer Concedes Two Second-Half Goals, Falls to Eastern Connecticut at Home

Hartford, Conn. – The Trinity College men’s soccer program held Eastern Connecticut State scoreless through the first half, but two goals in the final 45 minutes of play proved to be the difference, as the Warriors walked away with a 2-0 win. The Bantams (1-2) saw its toughest test this season, and will look forward to conference play after falling to the Warriors (4-0) for the second straight season.

Sophomore Everett Lyons (Southport, Conn.) took his first loss of the season after entering in the second half. Despite giving up two goals in the second half, Lyons kept the Bantams within reach; the visitors fired nine shots on frame in the final 45 minutes, forcing the sophomore to make a handful of highlight-reel saves. 

The game was played even through the first half for the first time all season. Both teams had three shots apiece —two on target — and both starting goaltenders made a pair of saves through the opening 45 minutes.

Eastern Connecticut broke through in the 55th minute. After nearly finding the back of the net on a counter one possession prior, the Warriors saw its opportunity during a three-on-two; freshman Andres Mayuri (West Hartford, Conn.) led the charge, feeding the ball off to senior Sam Hurburt. The upperclassman one-timed the lead pass from the right side of the 18-yard box, sneaking it past the outstretched hands of Lyons.

In the 87th minute, the Warriors iced the game. Senior Max Parent (Yarmouth, Mass.) forced a turnover at midfield, dribbled from left-to-right through a handful of Trinity defenders, and, at the top of the 18, fired a low shot into the left side of the net to double the lead. 

Eastern Connecticut finished the evening with 15 shots, finding a target 11 times. Trinity put three of the six total shots on frame, but couldn’t get past junior goalkeeper Kyle Boutot (Tolland, Conn.). The Warrior keeper now stands at 4-0 on the season, posting a shutout victory in all four games this season.

Trinity will look to rebound this Saturday, traveling to Colby for its first NESCAC competition of the season. Kick-off at Harold Alfond Field is slated for 1:30 p.m.