Hartford, Conn. - In a rematch of last year's National
Championship finalists, the Trinity College Bantams emerged
victorious once again, securing a 9-0 shutout of the Princeton
University Tigers in men's squash action this evening at Kellner
Squash Center in the final match of the regular season for both
squads. Eleven-time defending National Champion Trinity,
ranked No. 1 in the nation, improves to 19-0 and extends the
longest winning streak in the history of intercollegiate varsity
sports to 220 matches.
Princeton, ranked No. 4 in the nation, falls to 9-3 on the season, and is blanked for the first time since the 2006-07 season, when Trinity defeated Princeton 9-0 in that season's National Championship final. Princeton has lost just nine matches since the 06-07 season, seven of which have come against Trinity.
All but three matches were decided in more than three sets in today's contest. Trinity sophomore Parth Sharma (Penang, Malaysia), ranked No. 6 in the nation, upset junior David Letourneau (Calgary, Alb.), ranked No. 5 in the nation, 3-1, to give Trinity their clinching fifth point.
Trinity begins their post-season quest for a twelfth straight title at the College Squash Association (CSA) National Championship Tournament hosted by Yale University, Feb. 19-21.
Trinity v. Princeton
1. TC - Baset Chaundry d. Todd Harrity 4-11, 11-9, 4-11, 11-7, 11-9
2. TC - Parth Sharma d. David Letourneau 8-11, 11-4, 11-9, 11-9
3. TC - Supreet Singh d. Christopher Callis 8-11, 11-5, 5-11, 11-6, 11-6
4. TC - Vikram Malhotra d. David Canner 11-7, 11-6, 11-5
5. TC - Randy Lim d. Kelly Shannon 11-6, 11-3, 1-11, 11-6
6. TC - Antonio Diaz d. Santiago Imberton 11-6, 2-11, 11-4, 8-11, 11-6
7. TC - Christopher Binnie d. David Pena 11-7, 12-10, 11-7
8. TC - Andres Vargas d. Peter Sopher 11-5, 12-10, 11-3
9. TC - Reinhold Hergeth d. Clay Blackiston 5-11, 11-4, 11-4, 11-6
Trinity (Conn.) 9, Princeton 0