New Haven, Conn. - Trailing, 2-1, after the first three matches, the Trinity College Bantams rattled off six straight triumphs to earn a 7-3 victory over the Princeton University Tigers in the semifinal round of the College Squash Association (CSA) National Team Championships (Potter Trophy) this afternoon at Yale University's Brady Courts. Eleven-time defending CSA National Champion Trinity, ranked No. 1 in the nation and seeded No. 1 in the tourney, improves to 21-0 and extends the longest winning streak in the history of intercollegiate varsity sports to 223 matches. The Bantams advance to the semifinals against the winner of this afternoon's match between the No. 2-ranked Yale University Bulldogs and the No. 3-ranked University of Rochester Yellowjackets tomorrow at Yale at 3 p.m. Princeton, ranked No. 4, falls to 11-4 and will face the loser of the Yale/Rochester match for third place tomorrow afternoon at Yale at 3 p.m.
Trinity freshman Reinhold Hergeth (Bloemfontein, South Africa) posted the lone Trinity win in the first three matches, 3-0, at the No. 9 position, but a 3-0 triumph by junior Andres Vargas (Bogota, Colombia) and a grueling, 3-2 victory by classmate Randy Lim (Penang, Malaysia) gave the lead back to the Bantams at 3-2 with five matches complete. The Bantams took the next four matches including a 3-0 win by senior co-captain Baset Chaudhry (Lahore, Pakistan) at the No. 1 position that gave Trinity its fifth point and the win.
INDIVIDUAL MATCH RESULTS
1. TC- Baset Chaudhry d. Todd Harrity, 11-3, 12-10, 11-7
2. TC- Parth Sharma d. David Letourneau, 12-10, 11-7, 11-6
3. P- Chris Callis d. Supreet Singh, 11-3, 11-7, 11-9
4. TC- Vikram Malhotra d. Kelly Shannon, 12-10, 11-5, 11-6
5. TC- Randy Lim d. Santiago Imberton, 8-11, 11-8, 8-11, 11-7, 11-6
6. P- David Pena d. Antonio Salas, 11-7, 12-10, 13-11
7. TC- Chris Binnie, 8-11, 11-8, 9-11, 11-6, 11-8
8. TC- Andres Vargas d. Clay Blackiston, 11-8, 11-6, 11-5
9. TC- Reinhold Herges d. Nikhil Seth, 13-11, 11-7, 11-4
Trinity (Conn.) 7, Princeton 2