Harvard Downs Bantams In Battle Of Nation's Top Two Teams
Hartford, Conn. - The Trinity College Bantams lost a men's squash match at home for the first time in 18 years, a streak of 162 wins in a row, as the visiting Harvard University Crimson earned a 7-2 victory at Kellner Center this evening. Top-ranked and defending National Champion Trinity, which falls to the Crimson for the first time since the 1998 College Squash Association (CSA) Championship Finals, moves to 15-1 in dual matches this winter. No. 2-ranked Harvard improves to 12-0. Trinity, which also sees its 34-match overall winning streak come to an end, last loss at home on February 10, 1996, 7-2, against Harvard.
Trinity trailed, 2-1, after the first wave, as sophomore Zeyad Alshorafy (Alexandria, Egypt) edged Crimson freshman Bryan Koh (Singapore), 3-2, including a 15-13 win in the third game to take a 2-1 lead in games and a 17-15 win the deciding fifth game. Harvard won the next three decisions, finishing with a 3-2 triumph by senior co-captain Brandon McLaughlin (Villanova, Pa.) over Bantam sophomore Karan Malik (Mumbai, India) in the No. 2 match to clinch the team victory. Trinity junior Moustafa Hamada (Old Bridge, N.J.) gave Trinity its second point with a 3-1 win in the No. 8 match.
1. HU- Ali Faraq d. Miled Zarazua, 11-8, 11-3, 11-5
2. HU- Brandon McLaughlin d. Karan Malik, 8-11, 11-9, 11-8, 7-11, 11-4
3. HU- Dylan Murray d. Vrishab Kotian, 11-9, 8-11, 11-9, 13-11
4. HU- Gary Power d. Juan Vargas, 11-6, 11-5, 11-4
5. HU- Nigel Koh d. Elroy Leong, 13-11, 5-11, 11-3, 11-3
6. TC- Zeyad Elshorafy d. Bryan Koh, 5-11, 11-7, 15-13, 5-11, 17-15
7. TC- Moustafa Hamada d. Nick Hopcroft, 11-5, 11-6, 7-11, 12-10
8. HU- Thomas Mullaney d. Affeeq Ismail, 11-7, 7-11, 11-9, 11-9
9. HU- Tyler Olson d. Matthew Mackin, 11-9, 11-5, 11-6
Trinity 2, Harvard, 7