Hartford, Conn. – The top-seeded Trinity College men's
squash team opened the College Squash Association (CSA) National
Team Championships (Potter Trophy) with a resounding 8-1 victory
over eighth-seeded Penn on Friday afternoon at the Kellner Squash
Center. With their seventh straight victory the Bantams improve to
18-1 on the season and advance to the semifinals to square off with
the winner of this evenings Yale and Columbia contest. Trinity will
take on either the Bulldogs or the Lions tomorrow, Feb. 21, at 2:30
The Bantams were dominant in the opening round, sweeping the first two waves to advance. In the first wave, First-years Omar Allaudin (Lahore, Pakistan), James Evans (Maidstone, England) and Rick Penders (Maastricht, Netherlands) all won their matches, 3-0. Allaudin put the first point on the board for the Bantams as he outscored his opponent, 33-7 (11-0, 11-2, 11-5), at No. 9, while Penders outlasted his opponent, 11-8, 11-4, 15-13, at No. 6 and Evans cruised to an 11-8, 11-4, 11-4 triumph at No. 3.
During the second wave with Trinity holding a 4-0 advantage, senior co-captain Karan Malik (Bangalore, India) earned the match-clinching point with a 3-0 win at No. 5. Malik coasted to a 13-11, 11-5, 11-2 triumph for his 40th career victory. First-year Affeeq Ismail (Kuching, Malaysia) won his match 3-0 at No. 8 and senior Miled Zarazua (Mexico City, Mexico) recorded a 3-1 triumph at No. 2.
With the match in hand during the final wave, senior co-captain Moustafa Hamada (Alexandria, Egypt) registered a win at No. 7 and junior Juan Vargas (Bogota, Colombia) blanked his opponent, 3-0, at No. 4.
Read Jeff Jacobs' column on the Bantams in the
TRINITY 8, PENN 1
1. P- Marwan Mahmoud d. Vrushab Kotian, 7-11, 9-11, 11-7, 12-10, 11-8
2. TC- Miled Zarazua d. Derek Hsue, 12-10, 11-8, 3-11, 12-10
3. TC- Rick Penders d. Hayes Murphy, 11-8, 11-4, 15-13
4. TC- Juan Vargas d. Andres Larson, 11-9, 11-5, 11-6
5. TC- Karan Malik d. James Watson, 13-11, 11-5, 11-2
6. TC- James evans d. August Frank, 11-8, 11-4, 11-4
7. TC- Moustafa Hamada d. Rahil Fazelhroy, 12-10, 11-7, 11-7
8. TC- Affeeq Ismail d. George Lemmon, 11-6, 11-4, 11-6
9. TC- Omar Allaudin d. Tyler Odell, 11-0, 11-2, 11-5