Hartford, Conn. - The Trinity College men's squash team swept five out of its nine matches in 3-0 fashion to knock off the No. 3 ranked Harvard Crimson on Thursday afternoon at the Kellner Squash Center at Trinity. The top-ranked Bantams remain undefeated as they improve to 14-0 while Harvard drops its third straight to move to 2-4 overall.
Trinity swept the first wave with victories by freshman Nku Patrick (San Fernando, Trinidad), sophomore James Evans (Maidstone, England), and senior co-captain Juan Vargas (Bogota, Colombia). Evans defeated junior Devin McLaughlin (Villanova, Pa.) who was previously undefeated while Patrick defeated a familiar opponent, his brother Mandela Patrick (San Fernando, Trinidad).
The Bantams earned just one victory in the second wave by freshman Michael Craig (Belfast, Northern Ireland) in the No. 2 spot who dominated his opponent by a combined score of 33-12. In the third wave, sophomores Rick Penders (Maastricht, Netherlands) and Omar Allaudin (Lahore, Pakistan) both earned 3-1 victories, respectively, while freshman Tom De Mulder (Gent, Belgium) knocked off his opponent in straight sets at the No. 4 spot to seal a 7-2 win.
Trinity returns to action on Sunday when the No. 11 ranked Princeton Tigers come to Hartford for a 1 p.m. match.
1. TC- Rick Penders d. David Ryan, 9-11, 11-4, 11-6, 11-8
2. TC- Michael Craig d. Bradley Smith, 11-2, 11-6, 11-4
3. TC – Juan Vargas d. Bryan Koh, 14-12, 11-7, 11-2
4. TC- Tom de Mulder d. Madhav Dhingra, 11-9, 11-5, 11-8
5. H- Dylan Murray d. Affeeq Ismail, 11-6, 11-7, 11-6
6. TC- James Evans d. Devin McLaughlin, 11-7, 12-10, 11-3
7. TC- Omar Allaudin d. Alexi Gosset, 11-9, 5-11, 11-8, 11-6
8. H- Seif Eleinen d. Tor Christoffersen, 10-12, 11-4, 8-11, 11-7, 11-9
9. TC- Nku Patrick d. Mandela Patrick, 11-7, 11-5, 11-8
Trinity (Conn.) 7, Harvard 2
Hartford Courant story