New York, N.Y. – First-year Ziad Sakr (Tanta, Egypt) won the clinching match, 3-0, at No. 5 in the lineup to lead the visiting Trinity College Bantams to a 6-3 victory over the Columbia University Lions in men’s squash action this afternoon at Green StreetSquash Center. Defending National Champion Trinity, ranked No. 1 in the nation, improves to 4-0 with its ninth win in a row. The No. 4-ranked Lions fall to 5-1. Trinity, playing its first match since December 8, will host Dartmouth in its home opener on Tuesday, January16 at 1 p.m.
Trinity led, 3-1, early thanks to 3-0 triumphs by junior Thoboki Mohohlo (Hartford, Conn.), sophomore Andrew Lee (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) and freshman Adik Aryaman (Mumbai, India), and Sakr handed Lion senior Arhum Saleem (Alpharetta, Ga.) his first loss of the winter, 11-6, 11-5, 11-9, to give Trinity its fifth point of the match. Bantam junior Michael Craig (Belfast, Northern Ireland) and sophomore Kush Kumar (Chennai, India) also posted victories. Kumar posted a 3-1 win by Kumar at the top of the ladder, after losing the first game, 11-7, giving top-ranked Osama Khalifa (Cairo, Egypt) his first loss of the year. Senior tri-captain James Evans (Maidstone, England) lost for the first time as a Bantam, falling to 54-1 as a collegian, as Columbia junior Adham Madi (Alexandria, Egypt) bested Evans, 3-1, in the No. 7 match.
1. TC- Kush Kumar d. Osama Khalifa, 7-11, 11-7, 11-8, 11-4
2. TC- Thoboki Mohohlo d. Seif Attia, 11-9, 11-5, 11-6
3. C– Velavan Senthilkumar d. Rick Penders, 11-7, 11-8, 12-10
4. TC- Michael Craig d. Carter Robitaille, 11-9, 12-10, 11-9
5. TC- Ziad Sakr d. Arhum Saleem, 11-6, 11-5, 11-9
6. C- Robin Mann d. Omar Allaudin, 11-8, 11-9, 11-9
7. C- Adham Madi d. James Evans, 11-5, 7-11, 11-9, 11-6
8. TC- Aryaman Adik d. Krish Kapur, 11-5, 11-4, 11-1
9. TC- Andrew Lee d. McClain Awalt, 11-6, 11-4, 11-8
Trinity (Conn.) 6, Columbia 3