Hartford, Conn. - The Colby College Mules defeated the Trinity College Bantams, 7-2, on Saturday afternoon in a New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) men's tennis battle in Hartford. Trinity falls to 1-8 on the year with the setback while the Mules improve to 5-7. The Bantams return to action on Sunday for a 2 p.m. home match versus in-state conference foe Connecticut College.
Trinity picked up a win in both doubles and singles action. Junior Courtland Boyle (Pembroke, Bermuda) and first-year Ross DeRose (Buffalo, N.Y.) teamed up at the No. 1 doubles position to defeat Scott Altmeyer and Sumukh Pathl, 8-7 (5). Sophomore Christopher Bilicic (Chicago, Ill.) grinded out a victory at the No. 3 singles match, defeating his opponent, 6-4, before dropping the second set, 2-6. Bilicic came back to win the third set, 11-9 for the triumph.
1. T - Courtland Boyle/Ross DeRose d. Scott Altmeyer/Sumukh Pathi, 8-7 (5)
2. C - Max Schuermann/Garrett Reiter d. Chris Caskin/Dylan Powell, 8-2
3. C - Hans Hwang/Luis Gonzales Kompalic d. Chris Bilicic/Granville Kaynor, 8-5
1. C - Scott Altemeyer d. Granville Kaynor, 6-4, 6-0
2. C - Sumukh Pathi d. Ross DeRose, 6-2, 6-3
3. T - Christopher Bilicic d. Max Shuermann, 6-4, 2-6, 11-9
4. C - Garrett Reiter d. Dylan Powell, 6-0, 6-4
5. C - Jonathan Hallal d. Chris Caskin, 6-3, 6-1
6. C - Hans Hwang d. Charles Kilborn, 6-1, 5-7, 10-5
Colby 7, Trinity (Conn.) 2