Hartford, Conn. - The visiting Connecticut College Camels won four-of-six singles matches after going down, 2-1, after doubles play to come back and defeat the Trinity College Bantams on Sunday afternoon in a New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) men's tennis battle in Hartford. The Bantams fall to 1-9 overall while the Camels improve to 6-7 on the year. Trinity returns to the courts on Tuesday at 3 p.m. for a matchup with Bates College.
Trinity won two of the three doubles matches to open up a 2-1 advantage early. Sophomores Christopher Bilicic (Chicago, Ill.) and Granville Kaynor (New Orleans, La.) teamed up to win, 8-3, in the No. 3 doubles before first-year Ross DeRose (Buffalo, N.Y.) and junior Courtland Boyle (Pembroke, Bermuda) put on a gutsy performance at the No. 1 doubles, grinding out a victory in a back-and-forth battle. Connecticut College duo Julian Tien and SangJin Song salvaged the sweep by winning at No. 2 doubles to put the Camels on the board before singles play.
The Camels won the first two singles matches, at No. 5 and No. 3, before taking a 4-2 match lead thanks to a victory by Guillermo Garcia Rincon at No. 2. Rincon and DeRose went three sets, but Rincon came back to win the last two after dropping the first one, 7-6. Kaynor ended the momentum with a win for the Bantams at the top spot, defeating SangJin Song in three sets, but Connecticut College went on to win at No. 4, another three set match, to clinch the overall match victory. Trinity rookie Charles Kilborn (Winnetka, Ill.) was the final singles match to go final as he won in three sets at the No. 6 position.
1. T - Ross DeRose/Courtland Boyle d. Guillermo Garcia Rincon/Will Cannon, 8-7 (6)
2. C - Julian Tien/SangJin Song d. Dylan Powell/Chris Caskin, 8-6
3. T - Christopher Bilicic/Granville Kaynor d. Henry DeCoster/Johnny Cissel, 8-3
1. T - Granville Kaynor d. SangJin Song, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
2. C - Guillermo Garcia Rincon d. Ross DeRose, 6-7 (6), 6-2, 6-4
3. C - Julian Tien d. Christopher Bilicic, 6-1, 6-2
4. C - Henry DeCoster d. Dylan Powell, 6-2, 6-7 (5), 6-3
5. C - Will Cannon d. Chris Caskin, 6-3, 6-2
6. T - Charles Kilborn d. Walter Komishane, 6-1, 5-7, 10-5
Connecticut College 5, Trinity (Conn.) 4