Recreation's Fitness & Well-being
Welcome to Trinity College's Fitness and Well-being program. Recreation at Trinity College is dedicated to providing the community with enriching opportunities that improve mental, emotional and physical well-being.
Group Fitness Classes
All of our group fitness classes are open to students, faculty and staff. Recreation's classes are taught by current students, staff and outside instructors. Each instructor holds a certification in the class being offered and will provide a structured session that engages class participants. There is no registration required for these classes. They are held on a first come first serve basis.
We currently offer classes in the following areas:
- Yoga- Wednesday's 6-7pm in Funston Studio Room 100
- ZUMBA- Tuesday's 5-6 in the Vernon Social Center
- Spinning (Trin-cycle)- Monday-Thursday 5-6pm in Crescent 76H
- Rock Climbing Training- Tuesday's 5-8pm
- Rock Climbing Shuttle- Thursday's 5-8pm (Shuttle meets at Mather Circle at 5pm)
Our group fitness class schedule will change between semesters, but class participants can expect to see an average of two different types of fitness offerings per day. Registration for classes is on a first come first serve basis. Plan to show up 10minutes early for our more popular classes to guarantee a space. For up to date information on all fitness classes please follow our social media accounts.
Off Campus Fitness Options
In addition to our on-campus fitness classes the Recreation office has relationships with several off-campus studios and alternative fitness options.
Students, staff and faculty can take advantage of this relationship by showing your Trinity ID at their front desk to receive a daily climbing pass, rock climbing shoes, a chalk bag and a belay device at no-charge. At CRG, participants can get a full body workout through the activities of bouldering or top rope rock climbing. CRG also has a strength training studio and regularly scheduled group fitness classes. To take advantage of these classes you must be a member. To receive the discounted membership rate, make sure to show your ID at the time of purchase.
The Recreation office will also offer a shuttle service to and from the gym every Thursday throughout the semester from 6pm-9pm. Contact the Recreation office for further details
Running around campus
One of the most popular runs is the campus loop. There are several options to lengthen or shorten this distance. Other popular runs are also listed below. By using the interactive campus map below you can view the different running loop options. All running distances are approximate, based on distances leaving and returning to the Ferris Athletic Center.
- Allen street loop: 1.8m
- Vernon street loop: 1.6m
- River Run: out and back 3.8m to the CT river passing Buckley High (options exist here to extend your run up to Riverfront Recapture and beyond)
- Goodwin park loop: 3.9m, run down New Britain Ave to Fairfield Ave., run on the road in Goodwin Golf course and return on Broad St.
Trail hiking and running
There are many local hiking and running trails close to campus. Below are just a select few local opportunities 10-25 minutes away from campus. Options exist to explore wooded trails, paved walkways, or cliff side vistas.
- Talcott Mountain State Park - Avon, Simsbury
- West Hartford Reservoir Trails: MDC property - Farmington, West Hartford, Avon
- Chase Mountain - Manchester
- Ragged Mountain loop - Southington
Contact: Kevin.Johnson@trincoll.edu (860) 297-5102