Trinity Women's Basketball Falls to Top-Ranked Amherst in NESCAC Quarterfinals

Allie Morin '21
Allie Morin '21

Amherst, Mass. - The Trinity College women's basketball team fell, 56-34, to the top-ranked Amherst College Mammoths on Saturday afternoon in the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) Championship Tournament Quarterfinals, hosted by the No. 1-seeded Mammoths at LeFrak Gymnasium. Amherst remains undefeated at 25-0 and moves on to next weekend's semifinal round while the Bantams, who made the tournament for the first time since 2014, close the year with a 15-10 record, their highest win total since the 2013-14 season.

Amherst sophomore Hannah Fox (Plymouth Meeting, Pa.) finished with a game-high 17 points and five steals while Madeline Eck (Rye, N.Y.) chipped in 13 points and four assists. The Bantams got ten points each from junior Courtney Erickson (Everett, Mass.) and sophomore Peace Kabari (Manchester, N.H.), who turned in a double-double performance with 10 rebounds. Trinity rookie Allie Morin (Westwood, Mass.) scored five points for Trinity off the bench while sophomore Emily Peters (North Attleboro, Mass.) had four points, two blocks and two rebounds.

Fox led Amherst in the first quarter, scoring nine of the Mammoths 13 points as Amherst took a 13-11 lead into the first break. The Bantams played well in the early-going, shooting over 44% from the field and winning the rebound battle, 6-4, in the game's first ten minutes.

Early in the second quarter, with the score 16-13, Amherst rattled off a 10-0 run over a five minute span to increase the lead to 26-13 with four minutes left in the half. The two sides traded buckets the rest of the half before the Mammoths took a ten point, 28-18 lead into the break. The hosts shot 50% in the half, while holding Trinity to 5-20 shooting, including 1-for-11 from the field and 0-for-5 from behind the three-point line in the second quarter. Together the teams combined to shoot 1-12 from downtown in the first half and 4-21 from three overall. Fox led all scorers at the intermission with 11 points and three steals.

Amherst kicked off the second half with a 6-0 run. A stout Mammoth defense didn't allow Trinity to score in the third quarter until a free throw by Erickson halfway through the frame ended the drought. Amherst held Trinity without a field goal in the third quarter until there were three minutes left in the period when Erickson converted a bucket in the paint to make it a 34-19 game in favor of the Mammoths. Amherst came back with a 10-4 spurt with four minutes left in the third to take a 45-23 after three before cruising to victory in the fourth.