Women's Basketball Moves to 8-0 With Convincing Victory Over Connecticut College

Erin Cunningham '19
Erin Cunningham '19

Hartford, Conn. - All five starters for the Bantams finished in double-figures as the Trinity College women's basketball game picked up a convincing, 77-66 win over in-state and fellow New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) foe Connecticut College on Saturday afternoon at Oosting Gymnasium. The win is Trinity's eighth in a row as the team breaks for the holidays. The Camels fall to 8-2 on the year with the loss. Despite it being a game featuring two NESCAC schools, the result does not count towards either side's conference record. The Bantams and Camels will square off again this season, on February 3rd in New London, in a game that will count towards the NESCAC standings. 

Junior Peace Kabari (Manchester, N.H.) led the way for Trinity, finishing with 19 points and 12 rebounds for her third double-double of the season. Kabari added five steals and two blocks as well. Senior Courtney Erickson (Everett, Mass.) finished with 17 points while classmate Becky Reifler (Garden City, N.Y.) added 14, senior co-captain Erin Cunningham (Wilton, Conn.) had 13 and sophomore Allie Morin (Westwood, Mass.) finished with 12. Cunningham, Reifler and Erickson each pulled down seven rebounds apiece as well. Trinity shot 46.2% from beyond the arc while collecting 20 more rebounds than Connecticut College.

The Camels were led by Sami Ashton (Clinton, Conn.) who had a game-high 25 points on 9-of-15 shooting, including 13 points in the fourth quarter. Kylie Caouette (Ashburnham, Mass.) added 24 points off the bench and poured in 15 points in the final ten minutes, 12 of which came on four three-pointers, as the visitors did their best to make things interesting down the stretch. 

Trinity jumped out to an 18-9 lead after the first quarter of play thanks to four early turnovers by the Camels and six points in the first ten minutes by Erickson. Both teams played an even second quarter as the Bantams took a 32-23 lead into the half after a back-and-forth final minute that saw a 29-17 Trinity lead shrink to 29-23 after back-to-back threes from Caouette, before a triple by Cunningham with time winding down brought the advantage back to nine. 

The Bantams took a 20-point lead into the fourth quarter before going ahead by 21 at the 8:03 mark in the fourth, however a rally by the Camels was left in store. The guests trimmed the deficit to 12 with 2:44 left to play on a jumper by Caouette. The Trinity lead, however, proved to be too much. Connecticut College made it a 71-63 game with 26 seconds left on a bucket by Ashton, but Trinity managed to hit enough free throws down the stretch to stave off a comeback and come away with the 11-point victory.

Trinity returns to action on Friday, December 28th for the first game of the CUNYAC Coaches v. Cancer Tournament at Lehman College.