Women's Hockey Drops Heartbreaker to Endicott in Overtime

Kelcie Finn '18 scored her fourth goal of the season but the Bantams fell, 2-1, in overtime to the visiting Gulls
Kelcie Finn '18 scored her fourth goal of the season but the Bantams fell, 2-1, in overtime to the visiting Gulls

Hartford, Conn. – With 1:21 remaining in overtime, first-year Jillian Gibbs (Burlington, Vt.) potted her fifth goal of the season and Endicott's second power play score of the afternoon to lift the visiting Gulls over the Trinity College women's hockey team, 2-1, on Friday afternoon at the Koeppel Center in Hartford. Trinity falls to 2-10-2 overall with the loss while Endicott improves to 14-2-1 on the season.

Both teams were whistled for penalties in the opening ten minutes of the first period but the respective penalty kill units of both sides did their job to keep the game knotted at zeroes. Trinity nearly converted a shorthanded goal when junior forward Kelcie Finn (Weymouth, Mass.) found herself with the puck in space near Endicott's goal, however her wrist shot was turned aside by Gull goaltender Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden) to no avail. The Bantams finally broke through with under a minute to play in the period to take a 1-0 lead into the first intermission. Sophomore Chandler Solimine (Pelham, N.Y.) won a faceoff for Trinity in Endicott's defensive zone, which led to a shot by sophomore Delaney Harrop (Walpole, Mass.) from just inside the blue-line. The shot bounced off the stick of a Gull defender and landed at the skates of Finn at the backside post who putted the puck into the back of the net with just 46 seconds left in the period.

Endicott nearly tied things up near the 11-minute mark in the second period when a Trinity turnover near center ice led to a 2-on-1 with Maggie Layo (Sandwich, Mass.) and Teneal Perry (Halifax, Nova Scotia) leading the charge. Layo fired a shot that hit off Thulin's glove and then the crossbar, sending the puck into the air. Perry took a baseball style swing at it to try and knock it into goal, but whiffed before Trinity's defense cleared it to end the threat. The Gulls had another prime scoring opportunity with just under ten minutes to go in the period when Trinity was whistled for a pair of penalties less than two minutes apart. Despite the extended time with the advantage, Endicott managed just three shots on net, all of which were saved by Trinity junior goaltender Jess Thulin (North Reading, Mass.).

Thanks to a Trinity penalty just before the end of the second period, the Gulls started the third frame on the power play. After a pair of shots on net saved by Thulin, Endicott rookie Nicole Demers (Avon, Conn.) fired a shot from near the blue-line that drilled the crossbar and beat Thulin to the back of the net to tie the game at 1-1, early in the third period. Despite multiple power play chances by both sides, neither team could break the tie. Endicott nearly won the game in buzzer-beating fashion when a 2-on-1 with less than ten seconds left led to a wrist shot by Jade Meier (Fairbanks, Alaska) from point blank, but Thulin was there to shut the door and force overtime.

The first two minutes of overtime came and went without harm until Trinity was called for a cross-checking penalty which gave Endicott a skater advantage. After a faceoff in Trinity's defensive zone won by Endicott, the puck was loose amongst traffic in front of the Bantam net before Gibbs put her stick on it and pushed it past Thulin to send the visitors home victorious.

Trinity returns to action next weekend when they travel to Maine to take on Colby College in a Friday-Saturday New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) doubleheader.