Trinity Women's Ice Hockey Falls to Amherst, 4-1

Tasha Adams '18
Tasha Adams '18

Hartford, Conn. - The Trinity College women's ice hockey team suffered a 4-1 setback to the Amherst College Mammoths on Saturday afternoon in the second game of a New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) series at the Koeppel Center in Hartford. The Bantams fall to 2-4 overall and 0-4 in conference play while Amherst improves to 4-2 on the year and 2-2 in league action. The Bantams return to action next Saturday, December 9, for a 3 p.m. game at Plattsburgh State in the team's final game of the fall semester. 

Despite holding a 31-25 shot advantage, the Bantams fell behind 1-0 after the first period before surrendering two more goals in the second period. After Trinity was whistled for a holding call, the Mammoths used just 20 seconds of the power play before Jocelyn Hunyadi (Concord Township, Ohio) slipped the puck from the corner to Miriam Eickhoff (Hanover, N.H.) positioned at the point. Eickhoff sent a low wrist shot that snuck into the corner of the net, past Bantam senior goalie Sydney Belinskas (Port Orange, Fla.) who was screened on the shot. Trinity put 14 shots on net in the opening period but Amherst starting netminder Bailey Plaman (Bloomington, Minn.) stopped all of them, including back-to-back attempts in the period's final minutes by rookie Julia Lee (Ferguson's Cove, Nova Scotia) and sophomore Taylor Foy (Highlands Ranch, Colo.). 

Amherst added to its lead at the 12:13 mark in the second period when Emma Griese (Toronto, Ontario) found the back of the net for the fifth time this winter. Just over four minutes later, the Mammoths took advantage of another Bantam penalty when Hunyadi potted the puck following a Trinity tripping penalty. Hunyadi picked off an errant pass and took care of the rest to open up a 3-0 lead which would hold after two periods.

Trinity ruined the shutout at the 10:00 mark in the final period. Senior Tasha Adams (Reston, Va.) won a faceoff in the Amherst zone, kept possession of the faceoff and flipped a wrister into the top shelf of the net, past the glove of Plaman. The Mammoth defense put the clamps down for the rest of the way as they held the hosts to just seven shots in the final period. Amherst iced things with 1:01 remaining, just after Trinity pulled Belinskas to earn an extra skater. Laura Schmidlein (Waltham, Mass.) found the puck at her stick just inside the center line before she fired a shot through Trinity's defense that found the empty net to give Amherst a 4-1 lead which would stand as the final score.