Trinity Women's Hockey Skates to 1-1 Draw With Williams

Abigail Riskevich '21 potted her first career goal in Trinity's 1-1 tie with Williams.
Abigail Riskevich '21 potted her first career goal in Trinity's 1-1 tie with Williams.

Williamstown, Mass. - Rookie Abigail Riskevich (Shakopee, Minn.) netted her first career goal while senior goalie Sydney Belinskas (Port Orange, Fla.) made 33 saves as the Trinity College women's hockey team skated to a 1-1 tie with New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) foe Williams College on Saturday afternoon at Lansing Chapman Rink in Williamstown. Trinity moves to 5-14-1 overall and 1-10-1 in conference action while the Ephs sit at 10-6-6 on the year and 4-5-5 in league play after today's result. Trinity returns to the ice on Friday, February 9th, for its final home game of the regular season versus in-state conference rival Wesleyan University.

The Ephs had the game's first scoring chance when Amanda Reisman (Short Hills, N.J.) intercepted a Bantam pass in the neutral zone. Reisman tipped the puck to give herself a breakaway towards Belsinkas, but her shot was saved by Belinskas to preserve the scoreless tie. Belinskas finished the first period with 15 saves.

After a scoreless first period, Trinity broke through at the 11:28 mark in the second period on Riskevich's tally. Williams misplayed a puck in the neutral zone which led to a 2-on-1 opportunity for the Bantams. Junior Claire Foran (Greenwich, Conn.) skated down the near-side, faked a shot, and instead sent it to Riskevich positioned near the top of the Eph crease who clapped home a one-time over the shoulder of Williams goalie Marissa Anderson (East Falmouth, Mass.) to put the visitors ahead, 1-0.

Williams found the equalizer after a pair of Trinity penalties gave the Ephs a 5-on-3 advantage. Eliza Quigley (Marblehead, Mass.) fired a shot on net that was initially saved by Belinskas, but the rebound fell directly to Gabbi Montembeault (Glencoe, Ill.) who fired the puck past an outstretched Belinskas to tie things at 1-1. 

The Ephs appeared to score the game-winner at the 16:55 mark in the third but the would-be goal was waved off after the referees said Montembeault caught the puck and pushed it across the crease line. Trinity out-shot the Ephs, 4-2, in the extra session, however neither side could find the back of the net for the victory.