Trinity Women's Hockey Sweeps Wesleyan Series With 3-1 Victory on Saturday

Co-captain Kelcie Finn '18 scored twice in Trinity's 3-1 victory over Wesleyan on Saturday.
Co-captain Kelcie Finn '18 scored twice in Trinity's 3-1 victory over Wesleyan on Saturday.

Middletown, Conn. – Senior co-captain Kelcie Finn (Weymouth, Mass.) scored twice to lead the Trinity College women's hockey team to a 3-1 victory and series sweep over the Wesleyan University Cardinals on Saturday afternoon at Spurrier-Snyder Rink in Middletown. The Bantams improve to 7-14-1 overall and 3-10-1 in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) play while the Cardinals fall to 5-13-4 on the year and 1-9-4 in league play. Trinity continues its dominance in the all-time series as the Bantams have not lost to their in-state conference rival since November of 2006.

The first period saw a handful of scoring chances as both sides combined for 24 shots in the opening 20 minutes. One of Trinity's best looks came with 5:35 left when senior co-captain Hannah Oganeku (Castle Pines, Colo.) skated towards Wesleyan goalie Allegra Grant (Winnetka, Ill.) with empty ice in front of her. Oganeku deked Grant and fired a shot towards the open net, but the puck ricocheted off the pipe and away from harm. The Cardinals similarly had a great look just a few minutes later when Cici Frattasio (Walpole, Mass.) redirected a shot right in front of Trinity senior goalie Sydney Belinskas (Port Orange, Fla.) that looked destined for the back of the net. Belinskas adjusted at the last possible second and tipped it away to preserve the tie. The Bantams finally broke through with 2:16 left in the first when sophomore Alex Sinson (Elm Grove, Wisc.) rifled a shot towards net that Finn put a stick on at the last second to redirect it past Grant and put the Bantams up 1-0 at the first intermission.

Trinity scored two more power play goals in the first four minutes of the second period to open up a commanding, 3-0 advantage. The first came 3:28 into the frame after the Cardinals were whistled for back-to-back penalties, giving the visitors a 5-on-3 advantage. First-year Julia Lee (Ferguson's Cove, Nova Scotia) made good on the opportunity, scoring her second goal in as many days thanks to assists from classmates Karinna Cave-Hawkins (Edgewater, Md.) and Kayla Milofsky (Concord, Mass.). Just 25 seconds later, Finn tallied her second score of the afternoon to put Trinity up 3-0. Belinskas, who finished with 24 saves on the day, stopped all 18 shots she saw through the first two periods.

Wesleyan junior Gina Mangiafridda (Pelham, N.Y.) had a prime opportunity to put the Cardinals on the board near the halfway mark in the third period, but Belinskas came up with a blocker save on her shot to preserve shutout for the time being. Trinity was called for consecutive penalties late in the third period, one of 11 combined penalties on the day, which led to Frattasio stuffing the puck past Belinskas for Wesleyan's first goal of the game with 3:26 left to play. Despite the late goal, Trinity kept the Cardinals off the board for the rest of the way to leave Middletown with the 3-1 victory.