Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Trinity Women's Ice Hockey Falls At Home To Wesleyan

Bergen Kobienia '22
Bergen Kobienia '22

Hartford, Conn. – The Trinity College Bantams suffered a 2-1 home loss to the Wesleyan University Cardinals in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) women's ice hockey action this afternoon at Williams Rink in the Koeppel Community Sports Center.  Trinity falls to 9-10-3 overall and now 8-9-2 overall and 6-5-3 in the NESCAC, while Wesleyan splits the weekend series and improves to 8-13-1 overall and 4-9-1 in the league.  The Bantams had won last night's game between the rivals, 6-1, in Middletown.

During the scoreless first period, both goaltenders turned away promising scoring chances.  Trinity sophomore forward Sierra Lee (Ferguson's Cove, Nova Scotia) had decent bids stopped by Wesleyan junior Allegra Grant (Winnetka, Ill.) early and late in the period.  Bantam junior Kai-Lilly Karpman (Playa del Ray, Calif.) made three saves during a Cardinal power play followed by a one-on-one denial against Cardinal sophomore forward Sarah Takahashi (Pleasanton, Calif.) with six minutes left before the first break.  Trinity closed the opening stanza with a 13-to-8 shooting advantage.

Wesleyan scored first when junior forward Allie Damren (Westwood, Mass.) pulled the puck out of a scrum after a face-off in her own end and beat Karpman with a quick shot 4:45 into the second period. Karpman made a nice save moments later against Cardinal senior forward Gina Mangiafridda (Pelham, N.Y.), while Trinity first-year forward Caelin Flaherty (Upton, Mass.) hit the post in transition from close on the right wing shortly after that. 

Mangiafridda gave the Cardinals a 2-0 lead with a power-play goal with 111:52 remaining in the middle frame with assists credited to Takahashi and senior defender Jackie Kilar (Weare, N.H.).  Grant kept Trinity off the board with another save against Flaherty's one-timer from Lee with 3:13 left in the second period, but Lee finally beat her with a one-on-one move after intercepting a pass by a Wesleyan defender to make the score, 2-1, 2:18 into the third stanza.  Trinity outshot Wesleyan, 10-1, in the final period but could not find the equalizer.  Karpman finished with 22 saves and Grant had 31.