Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Trinity Women's Ice Hockey Loses NESCAC Opener Against Connecticut College

Morgan Bronstein '22
Morgan Bronstein '22

Hartford, Conn. – Junior forward Erin Dillon (Hazlet, N.J.) scored twice to lead the visiting Connecticut College Camels to a 3-0 victory over the Trinity College Bantams in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) women’s ice hockey action this evening at Williams Rink in the Koeppel Community Sports Center.  Trinity 2-2 with the loss in its NESCAC opener, while the Camels win their first game of the year against three losses, two in the conference.  The teams will close out the two-day, home-and-home series tomorrow at Connecticut College at 7 p.m.

Trinity outshot the Camels, 10-6, in the first period but could not overcome eight penalties over the final two periods.  The Bantams were whistled for 10 penalties in all and the Camels took advantage with three goals on the power play.  Connecticut College committed eight penalties for 16 minutes, but the Bantams were 0-for-8 with the extra skater. 

Trinity nearly got on the board first when rookie forward Mia Fusco (Winchester, Mass.) tried to one-time in a pass from classmate Lily Kate Delaney (Groton, Mass.) but was stopped by Camel sophomore goalie Carly Denora (Verona, N.J.).  Senior goaltender Kai-Lilly Karpman (Playa del Ray, Calif.) made saves on her first 10 shots, but Camel senior forward Kylie Wilkes (Howell, N.J.) broke through for the game’s first goal with 7:29 left in the second period with assists credited to senior Lauren Helm (Frisco, Texas) and junior Mairi Anthony (Stoneham, Mass.). 

Dillon scored her first goal just 1:26 later on a rebound after the initial shot by Helm.  Bantam sophomore forward Cassidy McNeeley (South Easton, Mass.) got off a high shot in traffic from close on the right wing with two minutes left before the final break but Denora got a piece of the puck to preserve her shutout. 

The Camels added their third tally when Anthony and Wilkes fed Dillon for a goal 50 seconds into the third period.  Karpman kept the score at 3-0 with 12 saves during six minutes of Camel power plays in the middle of the final frame. Denora made six of her 28 stops in the final 5:30 of the game.  Karpman finished with 25 saves, as the teams finished deadlocked with 28 shots apiece.