Hayes and Griffin Each Score Three Goals as Women's Lacrosse Tops Bates in NESCAC Quarterfinals

Hayes and Griffin Each Score Three Goals as Women's Lacrosse Tops Bates in NESCAC Quarterfinals

Hartford, Conn. – Junior midfielder Caroline Hayes (Greenland, N.H.) scored three goals and added two assists as the Trinity women's lacrosse team defeated visiting Bates, 12-7, in the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) Championship Quarterfinals at Sheppard Field on Saturday afternoon. The Bantams improve to 13-2 on the year with their ninth straight victory, while the Bobcats fell to 8-8 with the loss.

With the triumph, Trinity advances to next weekend's semifinals, which it will host. The top-seeded Bantams will square off with six seeded Colby, who upset Middlebury in the quarterfinals, on May 3. The win also helped Trinity avenge an 8-6 defeat at home to the Bobcats earlier in the season.

Trinity sophomore Martha Griffin (Exeter, N.H.) had a strong game, registering three goals to go along with an assist. The 5-11 midfielder also added a team-best five draw controls. Freshman Clare Lyne (Concord, Mass.) had the first multi-point game of her career with two goals and Molly Cox (Norwell, Mass.) netted a goal and dished out an assist for the Bantams as well.

Senior Bridget Meedzan (Ipswich, Mass.) led the Bobcats with two goals and an assist while classmate Wally Pierce (Weston, Mass.) registered six draw controls. Sophomore goaltender Hannah Jeffrey (Greenwich, Conn.) and midfielder Kaileigh Maguire (Sudbury, Mass.) each had a game-high three groundballs.

Jeffrey turned aside six shots in a losing effort for Bates, while sophomore Emily Mooney (New York, N.Y.) made seven saves to earn her 11th victory of the year between the pipes for Trinity.

Bates sophomore Alex Briody (North Kingstown, R.I.) opened the game's scoring just over 90 seconds into the contest before Trinity responded with a pair of goals. Under one minute after Briody's tally, Griffin netted an unassisted goal to knot the game at one. Ten minutes later, Lyne gave Trinity its first lead of the game with her first marker of the afternoon. Bates Senior Blair Shrewsbury (Boxford, Mass.) tied the game at 2-2 with an unassisted tally at the 15:06 mark.

Four seconds later, Griffin scored the first of five unanswered goals for the Bantams which pushed their lead to 7-2 with just under six minutes left in the opening period. Griffin scored a second goal in the run (her third of the game), Hayes scored a pair and Renee Olsen (Ridgewood, N.J.) also found the back of the cage on a free-position shot.

Cara Cappellini (Manhasset, N.Y.) stopped the Trinity scoring run netting a goal with under five minutes left in the opening half. To close out the half, Hayes and Meedzan each scored as Trinity took an 8-4 edge into halftime.

In the second half, Emma Noto (Portland, Ore.) connected on a free position shot for Bates to cut the deficit to 8-5 with 26 minutes remaining in regulation. Trinity answered with three consecutive goals to increase its advantage to six at 11-5 with 13:52 to play. Kathleen Timmons (Branford, Conn.), Shea Kusiak (Longmeadow, Mass.), and Lyne provided the goals for the hosts during that stretch.

Bates scored two of the final three goals in the contest, but Trinity held on to advance to the semifinals.

Senior Midge Daniel (Wellesley, Mass.) caused a game-high five turnovers for the Bantams, while classmate Lyndsey Shepard (Hamilton, Mass.) caused three turnovers.