Trinity Women's Soccer Beats Bates With Late Second Half Goal

Samantha March '21 scored the game-winning goal on Saturday to lift Trinity to the 2-1 victory
Samantha March '21 scored the game-winning goal on Saturday to lift Trinity to the 2-1 victory

Lewiston, Maine - Rookie Samantha March (Glastonbury, Conn.) scored her first career goal in game-winning fashion to lift the Trinity College women's soccer team to a 2-1 victory over Bates in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) action on Saturday at Russell Street Field on Bates' campus in Lewiston, Maine. Trinity improves to 3-5-1 overall and 2-3 in conference play while the Bobcats fall to 5-2-1 on the year and 2-1-1 in league action. Trinity returns to the pitch on Tuesday night for a conference battle against in-state rival Wesleyan University.

Trinity out shot Bates 19-6 on the day, however they didn't get on the board until the 22nd minute when they earned a penalty kick thanks to a Bates foul in the box. First-year Rhone O'Hara (Woodstock, Conn.) took the penalty kick for the Bantams and delivered a shot into the lower right corner of the goal to give Trinity a 1-0 lead. 

So Kim (Thornhill, Ontario) tallied her second goal of the season in the 43rd minute to tie the game at 1-1. It started when first-year Nellie Breen (Pasadena, Calif.) delivered a cross that Kim was able to volley into the net on the second touch, past Trinity rookie goaltender Taylor O'Connor (Danvers, Mass.) to even the score. 

The Bantams took the lead for good in the 73rd minute on March's game-winner. March fired a shot from about 30 yards out that hit the right post and deflected into the back left of the net to give Trinity the 2-1 lead. She also paced the Bantams with four shots on the day. 

Junior Olivia Amdur (Chicago, Ill.) led Bates with two shots and senior captain Sarah McCarthy (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) made five saves in goal. Her counterpart, O'Connor, also made five saves on the day in her first career victory.